Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the "Downloads" folder been removed from Dolphin in Kubuntu 15.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the "Downloads" folder been removed from Dolphin in Kubuntu 15.10?

I just downloaded a couple of applications and plasmoids from the Internet. I can't find them.

I would like to have a weather widget in my Kubuntu 15.10 application. I found one, but after downloading it I cannot find it to install. I select Dolphin and there seems to be no Downloads Folder.

Additionally, I downloaded a Vmware application; it appears in the "Home" directory. When I attempt to install it, it stays at a level of "now loading" and does not change. All other applications work fine, but this one appears frozen.

Since it appeared in the Home directory, does that replace a "Downloads" folder, and if so, where are the other applications I downloaded from the internet?

I hope I am not wasting your time, but I am anxious to make Kubuntu 15.10 default on my computer, and knowing how to use it is useful. Thanks!
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Dec 18, 2015, 04:39 AM. Reason: overlooked a typo when in Go Advanced

I'm not using 15.10. In Firefox, you can check where downloads appear:
    Edit > Preferences > General, then read down the page to see Downloads -- Save Files to:

Another idea, if your downloaded files are not in your home, is to check /tmp directory, poke around, see if any files got sent somewhere there. Hopefully, the files didn't get sent to root's home (/root).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I set my FF to ask where to save files each time. Then i KNOW where they are. Hate searching for things

Comment

Click on the blue down(load) arrow in the top of Firefox and select (hte icon on the right) to open the respective directory.

Fact that this standard directory is missing points to some heavy handed edits
        Or a significant problem

Comment

The "downloads" folder did not appear when I first opened Dolphin>home> This is unusual and never happened before. I created a "downloads" folder. My curiosity is will downloads naturally appear in that folder when I make downloads? I used a small "d" for downloads; should I have capitalized the D? Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          I'm not using 15.10. In Firefox, you can check where downloads appear:
          Edit > Preferences > General, then read down the page to see Downloads -- Save Files to:

Another idea, if your downloaded files are not in your home, is to check /tmp directory, poke around, see if any files got sent somewhere there. Hopefully, the files didn't get sent to root's home (/root).

Comment

I don't understand your reply. My /home folder was missing a "downloads" folder option. I created one and am hopeful it will function like the one usually included in the /home folder. Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
            I set my FF to ask where to save files each time. Then i KNOW where they are. Hate searching for things

Comment

Your reply confuses me a bit, but thanks for the effort. I am talking about the /home directory in Dolphin. My inquiry is not about Firefox. I just want torrents or any particular downloaded applications or images will show in the downloads folder, which was missing in Dolphin, after this installation of the OS. In that respect, I am referring to Firefox, at least the source of the downloads. Hope I am not confusing you. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Click on the blue down(load) arrow in the top of Firefox and select (hte icon on the right) to open the respective directory.

Or a significant problem

Comment

Downloads via Firefox go to where the Firefox configuration sends them.

So it's insufficient to have a Downloads (With capital D and plural s!) folder, Firefox has to know about it!

Comment

I think we do understand your situation. It seems you are using Firefox. You could TRY this:
                  You say you are missing a Downloads folder in your /home. That is, this folder is missing on your setup:
                  /home/your_user_name/Downloads
                  Note the capital "D" in Downloads.
                  You should have such a folder upon installing Kubuntu!
                  If you don't, and I'm not sure about this, but what the heck, you can try to create it manually:
                  Simply open Dolphin, navigate to /home/your_user_name, you should now see Desktop, Music, Videos, Pictures, etc. -- a bunch of folders in your /home. Right-click in that window (where you see these various folders) on a blank spot, Create new > Folder and call it Downloads. Now you should have a folder:
                  /home/your_user_name/Downloads

Now open Firefox and try to specify that Downloads folder as the place to "download files to."
                  As explained in Post #2, from the Firefox screen:
                  Edit > Preferences > General, then read down the page to see Downloads -- and then see this: Save Files to:
                  Now see if you are offered the option Downloads.
                  Or see if you can browse to your (newly created) Downloads folder and select it.

(Note: If you have to browse to select it, click Browse, on the left side bar click your name, then see your folder
                  /home/your_user_name/Downloads ,
                  left-click on it, then click Open at the bottom right of the screen. That should select Downloads as your download folder for Firefox.)

Note:
                  You are supposed to already have this Downloads folder in your /home. That is why Teunis said,
                  Or a significant problem
                  I'm not quite sure you can simply manually put the Downloads back in your /home, but the above explanation (in the present post here) tries to do so.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

ya,,,,,like every one elce is saying you should have a Downloads folder by default ,,,,,,,,,if you do not ,,,just open a konsole/terminal and do
                    Code:
                    mkdir ~/Downloads
                    firefox chrome and the rest should default to it if it exists ,,,,but can be set (as you have been told) to any location you have write permissions to.

as for torrents ,,,,,,,your torrent client usually asks where to download the torrent to ,,

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No one has suggested, although not highly likely, that maybe the Downloads folder got hidden; had a . put in front of the name so it's .Downloads instead of Downloads. Worth checking out.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        No one has suggested, although not highly likely, that maybe the Downloads folder got hidden; had a . put in front of the name so it's .Downloads instead of Downloads. Worth checking out.
                        that is possible ,,,,, good point.

and lets go ahead and tell him how to see the hidden files ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with dolphin open and looking at your /home/you ,,,,press "alt+."and all those pesky hidden files will appear,,, do it once again and poof their hidden again

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, as always, is correct. If, by chance, you don't believe in magic, you can do this:
                          With Dolphin open, looking at your /home, click View, then click Show hidden files; to undo this, click Show hidden files again to remove that check mark.

Comment

Downloads & Xdg

Xdg user directories: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...er_directories
                            User directories are a set of common user directories located within the $HOME directory, including Documents, Downloads, Music, and Desktop. Identified by unique icons within a file manager, they will commonly be automatically sourced by numerous programs and applications. xdg-user-dirs is a program that will automatically generate these directories. See the freedesktop.org website for further information.
                            ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
                            # This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
                            # interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
                            # Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
                            # homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
                            # absolute path. No other format is supported.
                            KDE gui: KDE System Settings > Applications > Locations

user-dirs.dirs at Kubuntu Forums:

- https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ew-directories
                            - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...r-home-folders
                            - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...a-player-error
                            Try Me !

Comment

Thanks Vinny, that's what I was looking for. Weird problem. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X