This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notification Widget Does Not Notify of Software / Security Upgrades

However it did before I removed it and then installed again to system tray. It works somewhat, for example, if I power down and back up, it'll have the numeral 2 showing and a popup indicates (1) connection to wifi and (2) touchpad disabled.

Three times now, randomly, I have checked the Software Updater app and there will be updates awaiting installation. When I click "ok" to update, they do update and at the same time the notifier widget will "wake up" and show a number, for example. if the update is a single package of 18 updates, it'll show the number "1". I could turn the Updater into a fat green widget but I prefer not to. I've clicked in about everything here and I find noting that indicates "Hey, you want to have the notifier notify you when updates are available?"
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Today was the first update since 20 December. It was "flash plugin-installer". No biggie I reckon, however, no heads-up in my Notifications. I launched Software Updater and it checked for updates. When it "found" the one update, I then got the single notification (1) in the Notification widget.
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Progress is at hand. Noticed the numeral "1" in my notifications widget moments ago. It pretty much said that a software package was available and consisted of 19 updates. Unlike before, I could not launch the install from the message. Had to go to Updater and complete the install. As the Updater was updating the number changer to 2. Better though.
      Last edited by logan01; Jan 06, 2016, 11:03 AM.
      HP15 -

Comment

(A non-specific response ...) Hi logan01. Just to say that I get these things happening now and then from the updater-notifier-thingy. Sometimes, it works perfectly. Sometimes I have to nudge it, like you just did. Sometimes it tells me I have an update, I click Install (on the pop-up window) and it tells me all done, finished, everything up-to-date (even though it didn't do anything new)! (And sometimes I can find an update in Muon, Check for Updates, sometimes not.) But it all just keeps flowing OK and working. I'm using 14.04, btw.

Sometimes, if I feel I must do something, I may re-boot; or in Muon do the "Check for Updates," or even run a standard fixer recipe for apt:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get -f install
        (although this recipe is usually applied when there seems to be errors popping up re packages; but it doesn't hurt to run it).

Glad you got some different result this time.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X