This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't print on Canon MF229 printer

Hello, I'm brand new to Kubuntu, although I've dabbled a bit with Ubuntu and Mint. I must say, Kubuntu is THE most *beautiful* Linux distro I've ever seen! [Tux smiling!] Better looking than even Mac OS X!

Okay, with all that brown-nosing out of the way, I'm having trouble printing to my Canon imageCLASS MF229dw multifunction printer. I know it's a fairly new model (I think it came out just earlier this year), but Canon officially has Linux drivers available from their website, which I've successfully installed in Mint (at least in a VM within Windows 10) using the included *.deb packages (first Common, then UFR). I installed those same packages on Kubuntu, and sure enough, when I went into System Settings > Printers and added a printer, I saw my printer listed on the left side under Discovered Network Printers (mine is connected via direct Ethernet via my wi-fi router (Netgear WNDR3700v2). It lists three different versions: IPP, LPD, and just one where it lists the IP address (I have my printer set to a static IP) and port number (9100). I've tried each one of these variables, and on the following page in the printer setup for choosing the driver, it lists "Canon MF220 Series" (the closest one I can find and the one that worked in Mint) twice. I've chosen both and neither worked. The page after that shows the name and description of the printer, as well as a Location entry that is blank by default, and a checkbox (default is checked) for sharing the printer. I wonder if the Location blank should be filled with the IP address and/or the port number. I tried that too, in the form of xxx.xxx.x.xx:9100 (where the x's represent the IP address numbers; I didn't want to disclose my printer's static IP address here). Every time I tried printing a test page on the final page of the Add Printer wizard - nothing would print. No visible activity or sound of gears turning on my printer. All the print jobs would show in the print queue, but show 0 for number of pages printing. I have no earthly idea why the *official Canon driver* is not working, and it looks like everything installed correctly and I'm going through the official Printer section of the System Settings. Please advise.

Welcome. What version of Kubuntu are you using?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, I should have said upfront - 14.04 LTS. I saw YouTube videos that said there were bugs in 15.10, and that 14.04 was pretty solid.

Comment

Also, sorry, here are my computer specs:

Type: Desktop (custom-built by me in 2012)
        Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO (1st Generation)
        CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core 3.6 GHz; computer set up for 64-bit system
        GPU: NVIDIA 8400 GS - 1 GB, 64-bit processing
        RAM: 8 GB DDR3 PC1333 (Crucial brand)
        HDD's: Two WD's, both SATA III (6 Gb/s) - one 500 GB (first HDD on SATA 0, running Windows 10), another 750 GB (second HDD on SATA 1, running Kubuntu 14.04.3), dual boot
        Optical Drives (both internal SATA): One BD writer - Pioneer BDR-206DBKS (first), another DVD writer - Samsung TS-H353C (second)
        Also Sony internal multi-card reader (forgot model #) and Bytecc UFE-421 internal USB 3.0/Firewire/eSATA front port

Comment

Weird - I gave it a try one more time, same exact procedure as before, but now the printer works, over the network no less. I can't explain why it's working now and why it didn't before, doing the same procedure. I'll mark this as solved unless I have more problems.

Comment

I hope you got it now. I don't know, I've had such things happen, too. Try different options, install, un-install, re-boot, click this, click that, whatever, and at some point things with a printer just fell into place and worked. Best to write down the current config settings!
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X