Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is data like login screen background configuration stored in RAM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is data like login screen background configuration stored in RAM?

I have problems with my computer that may relate to hardware problems. I would like to know where things like "Login Screen" background configuration and/or desktop background configuration are stored. If this information is stored in RAM, I probably have bad memory. Thanks for any help

no it is not stored in RAM per say (the system dose load into and run from RAM ),,,,,,,,,,tell us what exactly is going on that is troubling you with "backgrounds"

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny,

I have had problems with my computer for many months. I purchased increased memory a while back and things started to go wrong. The providers of the memory gave me a matching set of new memory, but things did not improve. My thinking was that some hardware was my problem.

When the forum stopped answering my posts, I thought my problems were beyond the help of the forum. Although I am not at par with anyone at the forum, I have continued to work the problem without success. Eventually my efforts have led me to believe that I have a memory problem due to the type of current problems I experience.

I have Kubuntu 14.04 and Kubuntu 15.10 installed in my PC. After configuring K14.04 with my own custom background for both Login Screen and Desktop, the backgrounds remain as I want them until I restart the OS. When I restart K14.04, the Login Screen reverts to a white background with black font and image. When the OS opens, the Background changes from my custom background to default Kubuntu 14.04. After opening and using the OS, things work fine for a period of a week or two before I have problems that do not restore. When this happens, I change to the K15.10 OS until it becomes unuseable. This also lasts for about two weeks.

The symptoms are different when K15.10 fails. Although K15.10 retains the default Login Screen and Desktop Background images, eventually when I select the KMenu Icon to open an application, the application/s do not respond to the mouse-click. I am unable to use the normal shut-down procedure, but if Yakuake is still functioning I am able to use the "sudo shutdown now" command to shut the system down.

At this point, I am unable to get either system to function for a period of time.

I then use my laptop when it is working to do computer work. After a period of time, I again try to use the PC. It begins to work again, but retains those mentioned peculiarities described above.

Unfortunately there is no trusted source for repair in my area, and I am unable to afford purchase of a new computer, so I continue my lame efforts to resolve the problems myself.

I have tested each of my 4/8gb memory sticks for approximately 14 hours each. They all seem to test perfectly. I have run and am re-running the following memory test right now:

As suggested by the maker of the Motherboard, when using one stick of memory only, I place each stick in the second slot for testing purposes, or if I only have one stick of memory to use. I have done that a couple of months back, but my failing memory does not remember the particulars of the results.

This time, I ran one stick of memory for a couple of weeks to failure and am now in the second stick. I have been operating the second stick of four for over 2 weeks without failure, but am planning soon to test the third, hopefully to confirm I have a memory problem and not motherboard or processor.

I have two Video cards in my possession. The current is a 2GB DDR5 and the former is a 1GB DDR3.

I have run the computer using each card, but the computer retains its negative symptoms on both cards, so I don't believe my video card is defective.

My processor is an 8 core AMD; it seems to function well and rarely uses over 5% of its capability in each core at the same time. My motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. I have examines the capacitors and none have leakage. Temperature is in the safe area for each component, and I have cleaned my entire computer of dust twice since the failures started.

My power supply tests as OK, so I am out of ideas what can be the problem, however all my problems that I currently experience happened when I first increased the memory in my computer.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but you are a very smart guy, and I believe with enough information you may have the ability to help me. If so, I will be most grateful. My computer is very important to me, and I am unable to replace it, even though I have begun saving for a replacement.

Old and retired and on a very low fixed income it will take a while. TIA friend.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      no it is not stored in RAM per say (the system dose load into and run from RAM ),,,,,,,,,,tell us what exactly is going on that is troubling you with "backgrounds"

VINNY

Comment

Hi Shabakthanai,

Well, it certainly sounds like you've been testing the memory thoroughly. I can't see the memory being the problem now. Are you only using one stick of memory at a time (8Gb)? If so, that makes me think the memory must be OK and something else is causing the freezing symptoms. I would have suspected the video card next but as you've tried both and the problem reoccurred it doesn't seem likely that both video cards would have the same fault. Very odd.

Another thing would be temperature ... but you've dusted out the fans and I guess the fans are working, so again I don't know. Do you run any kind of software that reports on temperatures, etc (like conky or GKrellm)? Maybe watching the temps might give a clue when the freeze happens if the temps are elevated at that time.

Have you made any adjustments in the UEFI BIOS settings related to the memory (or other settings)? Maybe try changing the BIOS settings to the defaults if you aren't sure. You may have inadvertently overclocked something and that could lead to instability.

It's hard to diagnose hardware remotely unfortunately. The motherboard could be faulty. My old Asus board I'm sure had a fault related to memory as no matter what combination of memory sticks I used I could not get it to go over 2Gb memory. It would fail the Memtest86+ memory test every time.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

you mention testing almost all parts of the computer except for the hard drive. Have you run any tests on the hard drive? maybe you have some filesystem errors or some strange hardware failure.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I have tried and tested everything in your reply. Nice to hear from you, my friend.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
            Hi Shabakthanai,

Well, it certainly sounds like you've been testing the memory thoroughly. I can't see the memory being the problem now. Are you only using one stick of memory at a time (8Gb)? If so, that makes me think the memory must be OK and something else is causing the freezing symptoms. I would have suspected the video card next but as you've tried both and the problem reoccurred it doesn't seem likely that both video cards would have the same fault. Very odd.

Another thing would be temperature ... but you've dusted out the fans and I guess the fans are working, so again I don't know. Do you run any kind of software that reports on temperatures, etc (like conky or GKrellm)? Maybe watching the temps might give a clue when the freeze happens if the temps are elevated at that time.

Have you made any adjustments in the UEFI BIOS settings related to the memory (or other settings)? Maybe try changing the BIOS settings to the defaults if you aren't sure. You may have inadvertently overclocked something and that could lead to instability.

It's hard to diagnose hardware remotely unfortunately. The motherboard could be faulty. My old Asus board I'm sure had a fault related to memory as no matter what combination of memory sticks I used I could not get it to go over 2Gb memory. It would fail the Memtest86+ memory test every time.

Comment

I have two separate SSD's, one for each OS. Nonetheless, both OS's have problems. I have 2 TB drives, however, they both seem to work fine, and they both just save data. One contains about 130GB of Movies and is named /movies, the other contains back-up data. Neither are used very often, and I don't know of any application or configuration data stored in either, excepting as a back-up, nothing where data is accessed for the operation of a program or application.

How can I check my SSD's? Thanks for the input. I sure enjoy the help you provided regarding fonts in a previous post. It has really improved my enjoyment of my computer.

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
              you mention testing almost all parts of the computer except for the hard drive. Have you run any tests on the hard drive? maybe you have some filesystem errors or some strange hardware failure.

Comment

i don't have an SSD so im not sure about any specific SSD checks, but running fsck on the file system would be a good start. you will need to do this from teh revocery mode since you cant fsck and mounted drive.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                X