Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a method to wipe out Plasma 5's config and start over?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a method to wipe out Plasma 5's config and start over?

So in kde4, all you needed to do was wipe out the ~/.kde4 folder and you had a brand new fresh desktop. I am having a hard time finding that option in 15.10 with KDE5.

Is it possible? I messed around enough that I want to start fresh. Even thought I got rid of ~/.config etc, some of the customizations I made are still there. I want to start with a 'out of box' plasma 5 kubuntu desktop.

...without a reinstall that is.

Comment

You will have things in /.config as well as /.local . just beware that non-plasma things also use these, and /.local also contains the mail.

You also need to delete the desktop related configs from outside of plasma, as some desktop things will write their configs back to disk upon logout.

There is no simple way to wipe it, as there was, but there should be no reason to reinstall.

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

save a copy of the .config and .local then nuke em. if you find a program is missing its config you can get it from you old .config folder. some of the older kde programs may also still use the .kde4 or .kde folder for settings..
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I'm interested in this as, since plasma 5 I'm having lots of irritating problems that I assume is not the norm. Invisible icons, slow start up, missing notifications.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

while i can understand why they would want to put the configs in ~/.config i wish they would have done it more like ~/.config/kde so that its easier to locate the various parts config files. there is really nothing wrong with using ~/.kde as a place for user configs. since kde is trying to use more of the stock qt parts and make all of kde less dependent on one another and as a result they are maybe using QSettings for handling settings. It would make sence considering the
            QSettings platform defaults . I have notice i have a ~/.config/KDE folder but it has only a few of the kde settings there is also a ~/.config/org.kde folder too as well as a few others. Hopefully in time they will conform on one directory
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

If they put a "Clear Settings" command in the "System Settings" toolbox, much like Android "Clear Data/Clear Cache" does, then it would not matter where they put the stuff. Then any user could do it, without having to search the internet. Not just techies.

Comment

Working...
              X