This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one example plasma desktop efficiency for new users of Kubuntu

There are multitudes of articles littering the web which prattle on, sometimes well done and sometimes not, to "discuss" the Plasma Desktop.

Much, if not all, of the ramblings are a re-hash of information from KDE and are really a way to have adverts slathered on either side, in the hopes of monetizing the post.

So........here is a very simple, straightforward, non-monetized reason for using the Plasma Desktop.

To wit,

Imagine if you would:

It is two o-clock in the morning, I drag myself out of bed because I have an idea and want to put it into a “.doc”. My eyes are bleary and I'm not going to go to the bathroom to wash up for a five line idea.

I sit down at the computer grasp the mouse and right click anywhere on the desktop.

I get a menu box and I click the activities icon.

The “activities” bar appears, for me, at the bottom of the screen, with large icons, I am easily able to move the mouse to “writing” and click it without having to carefully “point” the cursor.

The writing desktop appears.

There are several pre-made folders, one of which is “general”.

I move the mouse to the general folder and right click anywhere in it, again reducing the need to
    “carefully point”, and in the drop down menu I click “new text document”.(it will be Libre Office .doc not a .txt).

An interactive window appears and I type in a name, hit enter and the document appears IN Libre Office and an icon is produced in the desktop folder.

In other words, it is “already saved”.

Done........start typing.

This reduces movement of the cursor back and forth across the screen and navigation through the folder "tree", as opposed to once clicking L.O icon, then “new” and waiting for it to open and then going to “save as” and typing in the name and then mousing and clicking ones way through several folders in "the tree" to save in a certain folder, before beginning writing.

To play devil's advocate:

There are many who would say, wellll I can go to kicker, find favourites and L.O. and start a document there for about the same number of clicks so what is the big deal.

And I reply,

a) efficiency of motion in terms of dragging a mouse across the screen etc.
    b) reduced number of mouse moves and clicks going through the file tree in the "save as/where" process

I can also have on that desktop Amarok, or VLC which can be moused to with a short wave.

Can I have Amarok in the taskbar? Yes, I can.

Also, in many of the GNOME distros one can do the same thing, usually with "normal" filders, etc.

And, of course, there are also those “CLI” people who can do all of this with a few keyboard clicks!

So...........yes, there are a variety of ways to do what I outlined, some of which are more efficient in terms of clicks, and some, which are less efficient.

But, the point here is that “at the end of a month”, I………...personally………...believe that I have greatly reduced my “mousing / clicking” load by using the plasma desktop.

Anyone who wants to comment, for or against please so do.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

That's an interesting use of desktop folder(s) and Activities. I never thought of using them quite that way ... but you're right, there is an efficiency creating documents using this process. I think I might create another Activity with something similar to what you have described too. Thanks for the idea Woodsmoke!

Currently I have just the one desktop folder called "Handy Links" where I keep symlinks to all my hardware manuals and things like "Bash-Beginners-Guide.pdf", "Bash-Advanced-Guide.pdf", etc. I can quickly access a manual by just scrolling to the link and clicking on it.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Yes interesting, I've never taken to splitting up my workspace into activities.

I use Meta+W to open Writer.

I have a path set to a directory and the 'open' command follows it but 'save' ignores it for a new document...

Comment

Hi!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, for replying to my inconsequential thread!

Your ideas are very good and I'm sure that others will find them of value!

If there are others with ideas to add......please so do!

woodappreciativesmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X