This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu does not recognize laptop display [Only HDMI]

Hello, let me start off by saying I'm not a newbie to the world of linux, but I am a newbie to Kubuntu

I'm attempting to install Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf onto my laptop ( by means of booting from a USB; and I have also tried booting from a DVD );
    but upon selecting the first option in the boot menu ("Start Kubuntu") the laptop display turns off (no backlight).

The only way I have gotten graphics to work is by plugging in an HDMI external monitor from boot, and after selecting Try Kubuntu and booting into the
    LiveCD desktop, opening System Settings and Displays, only the HDMI monitor appears! I cannot select my laptop display as the primary display, it's
    not detected at all! (Only other option is "No Primary Display").

So I opened up a terminal and ran xrandr to check, it told me "LVDS1 disconnected" :/

At this point I am at a loss, I'm not sure what else to do really, googling it didn't really help much

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7-2630QM
    GPU: Nvidia GT 555M
    Installed RAM: 12 GB
    Laptop Model: MSi GX680

it sounds like the default driver is not paying nice with your GPU.

you could try setting the "nomodset" option at boot (I think it is one of the Fkey options) ,,,,or after booting up like you are doing , go to "system setings>driver manager and install the Nvidia driver it will recomend.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      it sounds like the default driver is not paying nice with your GPU.

you could try setting the "nomodset" option at boot (I think it is one of the Fkey options) ,,,,or after booting up like you are doing , go to "system setings>driver manager and install the Nvidia driver it will recomend.

VINNY
      Thanks, I'll try that and report back afterwards

Comment

Well, when I went into TTY1 on x.org, it kept complaining something about the EDID of LVDS-1 :/
        Also, once I installed the nvidia drivers (version 340) the laptop display turns on, but it's messed up, like there are two horizontal grey lines and the display is like, small, stretched, and resized (I'll try to make an image for demonstration).
        Also, kubuntu detects the resolution maximum as 1360x768, while my laptop display is 1920x1080...
        The biggest problem though, is after a few minutes, plasmashell crashed , displayed a black screen and 3 Dr Konqui windows popped open stating plasmashell crashed...
        (and a restart didn't fix the problem, I was able to fix the problem by removing the plasmashell configs and ~./cache , though I have a feeling this is only temporary)
        What's going on? :/

(In all honesty, this is probably what I get for trying out 15.10...)

Comment

their have been big changes going from plasma4 to plasma5 ,,,,,,,15.10 is usable @hear but still a bit quirky ,,,,,for instance , I get home from work today open the lid on my laptop it had just been closed not shut down), login and all the window title bars are gone and will not close from the panel ,,,,,,,,reboot ,,,all is well.

I would try 14.04 it is a LTS and stable as a rock,,,,,,and I hope 16.04 ,,,the next LTS will be as stable.

if your laptop screen dose not give valid EDID info it may be a problem ,,,,,,,,,you can make a xorg.conf defining your laptop screen and it will be used ,,,,,
          what dose the nvidia-settings say about what resolutions you can use ?

if you can get it setup right using the nvidia-settings app you can use it to write a xorg.conf and it should stick .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X