This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot log in after installing 750ti

Using version 15.10. Chose this as I have Intel skylake and z170 mobo and so had to have 4.2 kernel to have sound, usb working, etc. Distros w/older kernels would work but I wouldd get no sound, flaky usb, and no open gl video. PC was working fine w/onboard video with some occasional KDE crashes esp. using kmail but fine w/xfce and thunderbird. no problem whasoever in xfce desktop. Have dualboot setup win8.1 efi and Windows works perfectly. Put in a nvidia 750 ti card and now get login screen but system will not login and just keeps going back to login screen. I had read that it maybe was due to the nouveau driver not supporting this video chip. Since it was a new installation I figured I'd just reinstall Kubuntu and tell it to install 3rd party software during installation, hoping it would pick up the proprietary driver, which did not help. Still stuck at the same screen and unable to log in. If I go to ctr alt f3 and get to a prompt I have no trouble logging in. Using a live cd, there are no problems.

The 3rd party software provides flash and other things, but won't install drivers.

You may just need to reconfigue sort for the new card. Try:

[code]sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg[code]

You can install the drivers from the command line:

Code:
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    Sent from my LG G4
    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 13, 2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Was able to get in by hitting "e" on the Ubuntu line in grub screen and putting in nomodeset after "quiet splash" and was able to log in. I was then able to install the driver.

Comment

Working...
      X