This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Loosing My Mind and Vision / FONT Issue

Something happen to my font today. I have no clue as to how it happened. I was hoping to fix another issue and I downloaded dconf Editor. Couldn't resolve my problem with it and I know I didn't mess with any font stuff in it. I clicked on several things today within Kubuntu, however, if it didn't do anything visually, I went back and changed it to its original setting. As a last resort, I installed unity tweak tool because I read I could change my font back to the default. That tool doesn't work and gives me an error message:
    The following schema is missing
    com.canonical.notify-osd
    In order to work properly, Unity Tweak Tool recommends you install the necessary packages

So I found away to allegedly download it via the Terminal.

I still get the same message.

I also read online that I could click on Defaults in System Settings>Font Management.
    The Defaults button is there but grayed out.

Someone please help me get my old fonts (system orginals) back. Whatever this junk is appears to be the same size (width and height per character) but thinner (the weight), as in Bold / Thin / Thinner. It impacted fonts of personal files, everything on and in Firefox, the whole damned everything. It looks out of focus. I can't even look at text without going crazy. Help me and I promise not to click on anything unknown for 24 hours.
    Last edited by logan01; Nov 07, 2015, 11:51 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Yeah I think the weight changed. If I can't fix it soon I'll be forced back to Windows. It's that bad. Is there a system restore equivalent to Kubuntu? I could go back to yesterday and pretend today never happened.
    Last edited by logan01; Nov 07, 2015, 11:55 PM.
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Search for how to clear the font cache, sometimes these problems are down to a messed up cache.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        Search for how to clear the font cache, sometimes these problems are down to a messed up cache.

Regards, John Little
        In response to this suggestion I found another possible solution which I followed. After making the changes, a restart was suggested. My restart doesn't work in this OS or Windows. I always use the Shut Down option. This time Shut Down didn't work. Tried multiple times and finally did a hard kill. Out of sheer desperation, I uninstalled dconf Editor. Must have been one of those conflicts deals. My fonts are normal and Shut Down works. Believe I can live with my original issue after all. I think the fonts are normal. My eyes are so screwed up from this little ditty that I'll get a true reading of it all hours from now.
        HP15 -

Comment

Fresh eyes. Looks a tad different as I type this however is acceptable as compared to hours ago. Trying to ignore my OCDness regarding my knowing it's no longer the factory original fonts. Guess I could reinstall Kubuntu 14.04 and hope it brought its fresh settings along with it. Now wouldn't that be entertaining?
          HP15 -

Comment

I just got a repair for my fonts that worked. It involves settings in System Settings>ApplicationStyle>GnomeApplicationStyle(GT K) then change appropriate font. I hope this helps; this changed only a couple of applications that did not respond to basic system settings.

I am not a guru and this may be a waste of your time, but it worked for me and solved an equally frustrating problem, thanks to sithlord.

Comment

Working...
            X