X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 15.10 crashes constantly with GTX 660, not with 760

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded the Kubuntu ISO (x64) and burned it to a DVD to see how it has progressed.

I have two very similar PCs. My main PC that I use for things like posting in this forum is the faster of the two, and it runs Windows 7. The other one has not been used much lately, so I have decided to make it my experimental PC. I set it up with Windows 10, then added some partitions for Kubuntu to occupy (/, swap, /home). I popped the disc in and booted into the installer.

It took about six or seven attempts before it made it all the way through the install without crashing with the Linux version of the BSOD, spontaneously restarting, freezing, or having the mouse buttons (and possibly the keyboard) stop working.

Once that was finally complete, I booted into Kubuntu in the normal way, and the same things kept happening. I tried running Kubuntu from the install DVD as well, and it still crashed within a few minutes, every time.

I am pretty good with Windows, but I have no experience at all troubleshooting Linux. Still, between the behavior of Kubuntu (occasional artifacting on the screen and inability for Kubuntu to retain the settings for the compositor-- they would be accepted and supposedly saved, but they weren't really) and what I was able to read after a crash, I strongly suspected that it was the video card (EVGA GTX 660) at the center of the crashing. This is a bit odd, as I have used that PC with the 660 before (under Windows 7 and a little with 10) and never had an issue with it.

I removed the 660 from that PC and the PNY GTX 760 from my main PC and swapped them.

After another boot, Kubuntu on the "experimental" PC that had been crashing (that now had the 760 in it) worked fine. Now it was looking very much like it was the 660.

To verify this, I created an Ubuntu install thumb drive (I only have one working DVD player, and it was in the experimental machine at that moment) using the same Kubuntu .iso as before and booted up the main PC (now containing the suspect 660) with it.

As I expected, it began to have problems within a few minutes. It's the 660... but the question is why? It works fine in Windows; I've run it for hundreds of hours in that PC and the main one and never had a single issue with it. It's very similar to the 760; both are Nvidia Kepler-based cards, yet the 760 runs Kubuntu just fine.

I tried the x.org driver and the latest proprietary driver listed in the driver manager, and it crashes with both. I tried downloading a newer driver from Nvidia, but after finally figuring out (ie searching and reading) how to make a .run file actually... run, it told me I had to disable the x server first. I know eventually I will know what that means and how to do it (I am guessing it means to exit KDE), but for now... well, here I am.

Is there some incompatibility between Kubuntu/some bit of Linux/whatever and EVGA cards, or 6-series Kepler cards, or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Did you try the drivers from the edgers repository or this one?
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/08/u...ady-for-action

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      Did you try the drivers from the edgers repository or this one?
      http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/08/u...ady-for-action
      I don't know. I used the driver manager from the Kubuntu system settings menu. It doesn't tell me where it is looking for updates.

Comment

Oh but then we do know.

I pointed to separate PPA's that carry more recent drivers.
        In other words, they are not included in the basic installation and you have to add these PPA's yourself.
        How to add such a PPA is usually explained on their web site.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/08/ubuntu-nvidia-graphics-drivers-ppa-is-ready-for-action

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/xorg-edgers

(PPA, Personal Package Archive)

Comment

Working...
        X