This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set image a picture as desktop background

I installed Kubuntu 15.04 today and I like it, but i don't understand it very much....
    I'm trying to set one jpg image as background , but there's no option for this as in windows

So do you know how can I do this, guys?

You right- click on your desktop somewhere, select "configure desktop". In there, you'll see the section to choose your wallpaper. There will be an option there to choose a graphic of your own - the button with the folder icon marked "Open" you just use that tool to browse to and select the one you want.

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Thank you very much !

Comment

And--unlike window$--you can have a DIFFERENT background image for all of your desktops. Oops...wait...last I heard, window$ STILL didn't have multiple desktops, right?! So, first you can get acquainted with the concept of multiple desktops--which we've had in the *nix world for, oh, about 45 years or so--and then start tweaking the hell out of them to your liking! You can have different images, different widgets, different EVERYTHING on a per-desktop basis. And you can switch from one desktop to another via all sorts of clever choices; my favorite is 'desktop cube':

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_desktop_102315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	643069
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
          And--unlike window$--you can have a DIFFERENT background image for all of your desktops. Oops...wait...last I heard, window$ STILL didn't have multiple desktops, right?! So, first you can get acquainted with the concept of multiple desktops--which we've had in the *nix world for, oh, about 45 years or so--and then start tweaking the hell out of them to your liking! You can have different images, different widgets, different EVERYTHING on a per-desktop basis. And you can switch from one desktop to another via all sorts of clever choices; my favorite is 'desktop cube':

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6354[/ATTACH]
          well yes ,,,,,,if plasma 4 IE: 14.04 ,,,,,once on plasma 5 (15.04 and up) no you can not do different wallpapers on different desktops any more ,,,,,for now .

But you , can have , on different activities .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            well yes ,,,,,,if plasma 4 IE: 14.04 ,,,,,once on plasma 5 (15.04 and up) no you can not do different wallpapers on different desktops any more ,,,,,for now .
            I'm sticking with 14.04LTS for the foreseeable future, so by the time I get around to upgrading I'm sure this oversight will have been corrected. It's not normal to go backwards, you know? So I have to assume it's simply an oversight that will be corrected.
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              I'm sticking with 14.04LTS for the foreseeable future, so by the time I get around to upgrading I'm sure this oversight will have been corrected. It's not normal to go backwards, you know? So I have to assume it's simply an oversight that will be corrected.

Comment

Oops...wait...last I heard, window$ STILL didn't have multiple desktops, right?!
                They finally got round to supporting multiple desktops in Windows 10!

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-us...in-windows-10/

I haven't tried it and as the article says it's not a very good implementation. But say you what you like about Microsoft, they can certainty copy other groups' ideas. Without really understanding them.
                I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                  They finally got round to supporting multiple desktops in Windows 10!

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-us...in-windows-10/

I haven't tried it and as the article says it's not a very good implementation.
                  I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you! After only FORTY-FIVE YEARS in the *nix world, window$ tries--and does badly--a crude implementation of multiple desktops. Wow. At this rate, in the year 3000 they'll finally have some of the other things we've taken for granted...since 1970.

But say you what you like about Microsoft, they can certainty copy other groups' ideas. Without really understanding them.
                  Yep. They're the absolute best when it comes to copying features. Never mind that they're also the absolute best when it comes to implementing them badly.

Comment

I'm sticking with 14.04LTS for the foreseeable future, ...
                    So am I.
                    I'm sticking with 14.04LTS for the foreseeable future, ...
                    So am I

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

And me.

And me.
                      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I'm liking 15.10. But, as above, I would like to have different background for each desktop. I have seen several replies that say, 'you can do that in activities' but I'm afraid that answer leaves me lost. Can someone walk us through using 'activities' to personalize background per desktop?
                        Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Originally posted by GranPaSmurf View Post
                          I'm liking 15.10. But, as above, I would like to have different background for each desktop. I have seen several replies that say, 'you can do that in activities' but I'm afraid that answer leaves me lost. Can someone walk us through using 'activities' to personalize background per desktop?
                          You use the activities instead of the virtual desktops: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post368358

No cube : https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post368360

There is an 'Activity pager' to use with the activities: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Activity-pager
                          Try Me !

Comment

OK, I'm sold. After griping about having to learn Activities, I slogged through it today. Now I have a couple set up, and guess what? I can set up multiple virtual desktops uniquely for each activity! AND have unique background images in each activity.
                            I wish I had just done this right off instead of complaining.
                            Last edited by GranPaSmurf; Oct 29, 2015, 05:47 PM. Reason: added info
                            Using Linux only for a few years, using mostly mouse on GUI (sorry gurus). Kubuntu 19.04 beta on home-built: GigaByte board - AMD Phenom II, 3000 6 core, RAM 4 Gb,

Comment

Working...
                            X