This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baloo Search; Maybe I Just Ain't Getting It

Downloaded .pdf. Opened it in Okular which seems really nice. Did a Save As and saved it to /home/documents.

Got to thinking about "find" function.

Opened Dolphin and used the "find" function.

With the different options, I could only get it to find the folder I had created; HP.

Could not open HP folder from Baloo. Saw it staring at me; just couldn't do anything with it.

The .pdf name is HP PhotoSmart 5520 Manual.

No returns on any part of the filename to include ",pdf".

Am I not grasping "Baloo", do I have only a little piece of Baloo? If it is what it is, and I really don't want to rely on Terminal for file searches, are there any downloadable search tools available?

Thanks
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

You can try Recoll. I've been using it for several years. The version available in the repositories may be slightly out-dated so if you want the latest stable version there is a ppa that's up to date: https://launchpad.net/~recoll-backpo...recoll-1.15-on

It has nice set of configuration preferences with real time or scheduled indexing. Personally I have it set to index once each night. The user manual is quite helpful.

Comment

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks.
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

A stand-alone KDE utility for search is kfind.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          A stand-alone KDE utility for search is kfind.
          I've been looking at that as I research this issue. I just didn't know if it was still a working search tool because I didn't see much current info on it. Looked pretty good to me but I am real new to this. Thanks.
          HP15 -

Comment

A better option would be to install Milou, and add it to the panel from add widgets. Click image for larger version

Name:	milou1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	643029

Comment

Thanks Danum. That looks promising. Gonna go check it out.
              HP15 -

Comment

Installed and learning milou widget. Noticed there's a milou debug "file" or whatever it is. Do I need to install it too? If so, does it just go and do its own thing or do I do something with it?
                HP15 -

Comment

The debug files are to help developers find (solutions to) problems, they are not for regular users.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    The debug files are to help developers find (solutions to) problems, they are not for regular users.
                    Good deal. Thank you.
                    HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                    X