Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It exists on the version I have on the flash drive, at least that's what it says is an install option.
    How strange. Mine is on a flash drive, from the downloaded iso image, Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. I'll bet, maybe, you have a more recent iso? is there such a thing as a more recent iso?

If you have that option, you can probably use it! Except, I'll bet that if you want a separate /home partition, you must use the Manual method ... not sure, frankly (I always use the Manual method w/GParted). You may not need a separate home partition, especially if you are just trying to get a feel for Kubuntu (and you can always wipe and re-install the whole shabang at any time). But even if you don't use a separate home partition, you still need that extra space (50 GB) on your kubuntu / root partition (so 30 GB + 50 GB = 80 GB for / root) (which is where your personal "home" data, files, and apps will then be).

I need to research this business of you and I having different Kubuntu 14.04 iso's!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Here's my deal. On the Kubuntu 14.04 I installed to usb from "unetbootin" I recall it having that statement associated with the install option. http://unetbootin.github.io/
      Hmmm. I need to be more rested (after this hectic day) to dig into this closer. Thanks for this info.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you want I can boot to the usb and try to figure out a screen shot of the statement and post it.
        Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Well, I do believe you. It's on the Installation Type screen, right? And the last option is Manual, right?

Comment

Regarding Gparted. Am I required to install to usb or other and boot to it or can I just download it in Windows and do my partitioning thing? I detest mowing but today it was wonderful.
            HP15 -
            -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

It's on the screen giving the option to try now or install. Something to the effect of along side windows, replace windows, something else. Now I'm wondering if it's my imagination. I must boot to the usb.
              HP15 -

Comment

I'm downloading a 14.04 file now, from here:
                http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

But don't let my stuff slow you down on your install!

Comment

Regarding Gparted. Am I required to install to usb or other and boot to it or can I just download it in Windows and do my partitioning thing? I detest mowing but today it was wonderful.
                  I frankly don't know if GParted offers a Windows download! I've avoided Windows since XP in 2006 or so.

Comment

Being pulled away for awhile, but I do notice the new download is
                    kubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-amd64

whereas I have

kubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-amd64
                    on my flash drive ...

Comment

Had to shoot the screen w/ my digital camera.

HP15 -

Comment

I'll have to check that screen on mine. But then if you click Install, and you get to the Installation Type page (where the last option is Manual), do you have among the first few options anything like "install Kubuntu alongside Windows ..." (Remember, if you want to QUIT, just hit Quit at lower left of a screen.)

Comment

If you come back, here's the options for downloading GParted. Looks like I'll use another usb. If so. Do I literally boot to the GParted live usb and try the partitioning, get out of it, insert the kubuntu usb and select install?
                          HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            I'll have to check that screen on mine. But then if you click Install, and you get to the Installation Type page (where the last option is Manual), do you have among the first few options anything like "install Kubuntu alongside Windows ..." (Remember, if you want to QUIT, just hit Quit at lower left of a screen.)
                            I don't know. Let me download GParted to a usb. I will then boot to kubuntu to answer your question and use my other laptop for comms so that I don't need to switch back and forth.
                            HP15 -

Comment

Crap. That download will take a few hours. I cancelled it. It was going to my download folder any how. Don't know if I could later cut / paste it to my usb to boot from.
                              Last edited by logan01; Sep 08, 2015, 07:03 PM.
                              HP15 -

Comment

Since I've been booting to the Kubuntu usb, it changes the clock on my pc. It's advanced 5 hours. That ain't good is it? I know I can reset it. Don't some things on this computer rely on the clock?
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X