Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i get that amd 64, grub, what ever it was, seems like in reseraching, you, etc that could be installed via terminal in kubuntu. If so, and it would have to be during the live session, will it keep or go away with the live session?
    Lost me there. Not sure what you are referring to.

Oh, you mean the GParted. Yes, if you had installed GParted in your live Kubuntu session, then used it to do the partitioning, when you ended the live session, that GParted you installed would be gone (it existed only in RAM -- the live session does not touch your hard drive unless YOU tell it to touch your hard drive). But after you get Kubuntu installed on the HDD, you can then install GParted there and it will stay, of course, it comes in handy.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I hope it's a computer literate frog.
      Boy, wouldn't that be nice. Hey Frog, one back-slash or two? Oh, OK, thanks ... fix that PEBKAC.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

just got the "the grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install into /target/. without the grub boot loader, the installed system will not boot. and then it has an ok button to click. crap!
        Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

i clicked ok. it''ll stay a blank screen (remember from last night). I eventually tap the power button, the word kubuntu appears with something to the effect in the upper left about disks. some nothing statement. I'm now back in windows.
          Last edited by logan01; Sep 09, 2015, 10:33 AM.
          HP15 -
          -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

All I can think of is you should go back to that post where Rod Smith posted. He said to install rEFInd on a CD and boot into Kubuntu with it. Once in Kubuntu, you can re-install GRUB easily:
            sudo grub-install
            sudo update-grub

Another idea:
            Let the installation complete.
            Get a copy of Boot Repair and see if it will fix this GRUB problem.

I have no idea why grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install. Makes no sense: you turned off Secure Boot, Fast Startup, and you confirmed you had a ESP.

Review that link that RodJ put up.

Boot Repair:
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

But let it finish and TRY to re-boot and see what happens.
            When you re-boot, you can also TRY to do this:
            Enter your firmware (what you call your BIOS).
            See if there is an obvious boot entry you can select for K(U)buntu.
            Select it, (and maybe press Enter -- not sure how YOUR firmware menus work), see if it will boot into Kubuntu that way.

Comment

But let it finish and TRY to re-boot and see what happens.
              When you re-boot, you can also TRY to do this:
              Enter your firmware (what you call your BIOS).
              See if there is an obvious boot entry you can select for K(U)buntu.
              Select it, (and maybe press Enter -- not sure how YOUR firmware menus work), see if it will boot into Kubuntu that way.

Comment

I may have missed it but did you disable Fast Startup from within Windows? http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

This is apparently important but I haven't done a dual boot since the days of XP and that was before Microsoft started all their restricted boot shenanigans
                Last edited by elijathegold; Sep 09, 2015, 10:35 AM.
                If you're sitting wondering,
                Which Batman is the best,
                There's only one true answer my friend,
                It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Yes, he did -- in both Windows and in the firmware

Comment

0 down vote
                    First, and most importantly, disable Fast Startup in Windows. Some dual-boot instructions tell you to disable a similarly-named feature in the firmware, but that's often unnecessary and is not the same as disabling the Windows feature, whereas disabling the Windows feature is critical for safe dual booting. In your case, it's probably causing data corruption on the partition that holds the boot loader, thus preventing installation to it.

Second, try this:
                    1. If you haven't already done so, disable Secure Boot.
                    2. Download the USB flash drive or CD-R version of my rEFInd boot manager.
                    3. Prepare a boot medium with rEFInd.
                    4. Boot that boot medium. You should see a rEFInd menu with both Windows and Ubuntu options.
                    5. Test that you can boot to both Windows and Ubuntu.
                    6. Boot to Ubuntu.
                    7. Do one of two things:
                      • Install GRUB
                      • Install the Debian-package version of rEFInd.

Which boot manager you install (GRUB or rEFInd) will determine which one you see when you boot. If rEFInd enables you to boot both Windows and Linux, then you know that it will work. GRUB will probably work, too, but without testing there's no way to be 100% sure of that.
                    Rod Smith
                    http://askubuntu.com/questions/48500...ll-into-target

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                      I may have missed it but did you disable Fast Startup from within Windows? http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

This is apparently important but I haven't done a dual boot since the days of XP and that was before Microsoft started all their restricted boot shenanigans
                      I disabled fast startup only in control panel> system settings. It was a check/uncheck box and it's still unchecked. I didn't see it in bios (firmware). I did disable "secure boot" in bios.
                      HP15 -

Comment

I disabled fast startup only in control panel> system settings. It was a check/uncheck box and it's still unchecked. I didn't see it in bios (firmware). I did disable "secure boot" in bios.
                        That should be OK.
                        There may be different names for Fast Startup in firmwares. Mine is Fast Boot.

How I configured my UEFI firmware on my Asus H97-Plus motherboard:

Configure UEFI (BIOS)

Turn on the PC, at the POST press the key (F2) to enter UEFI(-BIOS).
                        CSM (compatibility support module): set to Auto (default).
                        Disable Secure Boot: Change to “Other O/S”, which disables Secure Boot for the ASUS UEFI.
                        Disable Fast Boot.
                        Anyway, so what happened? Can you boot the PC into ... anything?

Comment

I downloaded rEFInd as a zip file. I extracted to a folder I made on my desk top. The xtraction consists of one folder named "refind-bin-.9.0

It contains several files.

Do I copy the folder to a usb and proceed on?
                          HP15 -

Comment

was trying to do the rEFInd thing. tou want me to go to my bios and see if kubuntu is there to boot and/or see if it's available under boot options? Now?
                            HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                              That should be OK.
                              There may be different names for Fast Startup in firmwares. Mine is Fast Boot.

How I configured my UEFI firmware on my Asus H97-Plus motherboard:

Anyway, so what happened? Can you boot the PC into ... anything?
                              was trying to do the rEFInd thing. tou want me to go to my bios and see if kubuntu is there to boot and/or see if it's available under boot options? Now?
                              HP15 -

Comment

Yes. Why not. Let's check to see if you CAN get into Kubuntu using your firmware boot menus. The goal is get booted into Kubuntu somehow. Once there, you can check to see if it seems to be working OK; and re-install GRUB the good and proper way.

As for rEFInd, come to think about it, I used Linux tools to burn the image to a CD, here's exactly what I did:
                                https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post376838

Don't recall how this is done in Windows, I think i used to use Nero burning tool?

Comment

Working...
                                X