This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused on duelbooting with windows 10

Hi. I am trying to install kubuntu alongside windows 10. Though I saw installation videos but I didn't see an option to install it alongside windows 10. On ubuntu, if it detects another os, it automaticly gives the option to install along side it. Kubuntu does not have the option? Or does it? Or is there another way to duel boot?

I'll drop this:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?65253

Conceptually,

Use GParted Live CD/USB to set up partitions for your Kubuntu possibly root /, /home/swap).
    Your Windows 10 machine is probably booting by the newer UEFI method 9rather than the older BIOS method). So, your Kubuntu can use/share the same ESP (which Windows calls the System partition).

The install Kubuntu, selecting the Manual partitioning method.

Here's my notes on the Manual method:

///////////////////////////////

Installing Kubuntu -- Using the "Manual" Installation Type

Two steps:
    -- First, set up your partitions for Kubuntu.
    -- Then install Kubuntu using the "Manual" method of installation.

Step 1:
    Partitioning for Kubuntu

Many long-time users of Kubuntu prefer to do their own partitioning using GParted (or other similar programs) instead of doing allowing the Kubuntu installer to do the partitioning.

So, use GParted to partition your drive for Kubuntu, making partitions for root /, and /home (if you use a separate home partition), and swap. If you already have swap partition set up for another K(Ubuntu) OS, you do not need to create another swap partiton for the Kubuntu version you are installing now.

You can use GParted from another installed Linux OS on your computer, or you can use GParted Live CD/USB. In Kubuntu, you can install gparted using Muon. After doing so, you will probably find it here: K > Applications > System > Partition Editor (GParted).

GParted Live CD:
    http://gparted.org/livecd.php
    The Manual shows you how to do parttioning operations:
    http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?n...ed-live-manual
    Make sure you choose the right version of GParted, read the Note:
    http://gparted.org/download.php

Step 2:
    Install Kubuntu using the "Manual" method of installation

Download Kubuntu, check it, and make the installer medium
    Download the correct version of Kubuntu (use 64-bit for newer UEFI+GPT systems). Run checks on it (MD5 or Shasums).
    Burn the iso image to DVD (using K3b or similar), or make a live USB flash drive
    ( https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...aller-using-dd ).

Boot your computer with the Live Kubuntu medium
    Reboot your computer with the DVD or flash drive installed.
    At the computer's POST screen, hit the proper key to enter the firmware ("BIOS") setup.
    Locate the boot or boot override menu.
    Select the DVD or USB flash drive to boot from.
    (If you are installing in UEFI mode: Your DVD or flash drive may have more than one boot menu entry; choose the entry that says UEFI or EFI.)
    --> Thus, boot your PC with the DVD/USB Kubuntu installer medium.
    Get to the Kubuntu welcome page and select Install Kubuntu (your other choice will be to Try Kubuntu [without installing]).

Installation Type screen: Select Manual.

Prepare Partition screen (the left side bar may say "Disk Setup"):

You will see a list of all your partitions, including those you created in GParted for Kubuntu.
    Highlight a partition you want to use (for example, for root / or for /home or for swap).
    Hit the Change button.
    You will see a menu called Edit Partition.
    New size: do not change what you did in Gparted, leave it as it is.
    Use as:
    Format partition: No, do not check this box -- leave the format as you did it in GParted.
    Mount point: Drop-down list: you will see /, /home, etc. If in GParted, you formatted it as swap, you will also see that choice here. Choose one.
    Hit the OK button.
    Repeat this by highlighting another partition you wish to use for Kubuntu (/, /home, swap).
    Bootloader:
    When you are done you may also see a choice where to install the bootloader (GRUB2). You can say sdX, where X is the drive you wish GRUB to go on; if you are using UEFI mode, it doesn't matter what you say here: GRUB will go to the ESP, usually sda1, automatically; thus, you can say sda, if you wish.

Finally, click Install Now.
    (Or, you can click Back; or Quit if you wish to NOT install Kubuntu at this time.)

Note:
    Since you did your partitioning ahead of time using GParted (or similar), there are other options you will see that you will NOT use, like these: new partition table, Add, Delete. If you make any mistakes or are not sure about what you did, there is a button called "Undo all changes."

//////////////////////////////
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

A version of Gparted is present on the Live Disk, no need to download and burn something else.
      Only last week I've done an install on an SSD solely using a Kubuntu Live USB flash drive.

Boot up the Live version of Kubuntu, use the partitioning tool to partition the disk and when done you click the Install icon on the desktop and install manually as described by Qqmike.

Burning a disk is rather old-fashioned, just make a bootable USB memory stick (flash drive to some).

Comment

Burning a disk is rather old-fashioned,
        Let's not label the obvious, now. Besides, live CDs are fun. On a desktop PC, surely you included a DVD/CD drive on the PC that you built ... ? Besides, in 2009, I bought 100 quality Taiyo Yuden 700 MB CD-R's I'm having fun using up!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Boot up the Live version of Kubuntu, use the partitioning tool to partition the disk and when done you click the Install icon on the desktop and install manually as described by Qqmike.
          I use to recommend that but had forgotten about that way of doing the partitioning. Yes, gparted is on the Live Kubuntu DVD--if it weren't, you could install it in the live session. Thus, not having to do the separate step of making and using a separate GParted Live CD/USB (which many of us have and use, just because gparted is so useful that way). Good idea, Teunis, thanks for the reminder. It's easier, too for new users to do the partitioning that way versus making/using the separate live GParted CD.

Comment

Ah, I just tried the Kubuntu 15.04 live USB flash drive. GParted Partition Editor is NOT in the live session. You would install it: Open K > Applications > System > Konsole and type sudo apt-get install gparted. Then find it under K > Applications > System > GParted Partition Editor. However, in the live Kubuntu session, the KDE Partition Editor is present by default, and maybe that is what you meant in your post above.

Comment

Yes that's what I meant with 'a version of Gparted', for my use it has all the required options.

Comment

Working...
              X