Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Usefulness of Dell XPS 13 [2015] QHD+ Touchscreen under Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usefulness of Dell XPS 13 [2015] QHD+ Touchscreen under Kubuntu?

Can anyone tell me about how useful is the new Dell XPS 13 DE with the QHD+ Touchscreen under Kubuntu?

Please advise where to check further.

None of my machines has a touch screen now. I never have used one.
    I have only seen online Win 8.1 demos of the Dell XPS 13 QHD+ Touchscreen where is looks slick and probably useful.
    I don't know the state of the art under Ubuntu derivatives and with KDE

Anyone love or hate it or think it is worth the extra cost?
    I see how some programmers who are keyboard shortcut people might think it is not good for coding.

Right now I mainly do office stuff and love Kubuntu and open source stuff, like good graphics, do photo work, but not yet with Digikam. I have used Gwenview.

Thanks.
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

The state of touchscreen readiness in Linux is generally rather low. The KDE Plasma desktop is certainly not designed for touchscreens, and it seems that Plasma Active is dead. I'd recommend not spending the extra money on a hardware feature that you won't be able to take advantage of.

Also, if you're spending the money on a XPS 13 QHD+, check out the ThinkPad X1 (3rd generation) with QHD display. About the same price, and another inch of screen real estate -- important with high pixel densities. Check http://reddit.com/r/thinkpad for occasional discount codes -- I got my X250 using an employee referral code that gave 40% off!

Comment

Working...
    X