This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound

Clean install of 64-bit Kubuntu Utopic Unicorn 14.10. Everything was working well until I performed an apt-get autoremove, which removed some Linux headers, then I lost the sound.

Did some research and found AlsaMixer - it has 2 selections for sound cards but I only have the 1 sound card which is integrated into the motherboard. Card 0 shows no volume controls but card 1 shows volume controls. I made sure all controls were activated and at mid-level for card 1 but it made no difference.

Selecting [F2] /proc/asound/cards shows the 2 sound card listings. They appear identical except for designation, addresses and interrupts:
    Code:
    0 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                         HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb44000 irq 56
    1 [Generic_1      ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                         HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb40000 irq 16
    Don't know if that is the way it's supposed to be and I'm not sure what to do from here. I don't want to have to reinstall the operating system again, which would be my 4th attempt at achieving a completely functional 64 bit Utopic Unicorn installation. Hardware is Acer Aspire AM3470G

right click the speeker icon in the system tray (kmix) click Audio setup ..on the "Audio Hardware setup" tab play with the settings wile sound should be playing.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      right click the speeker icon in the system tray (kmix) click Audio setup ..on the "Audio Hardware setup" tab play with the settings wile sound should be playing.

VINNY
      No luck. Testing each configuration gives me the message "Failed to set the selected audio output device" and raises the following error in my Notifications area:
      Code:
      The audio playback device HD-Audio Generic (ALC662 rev3 Analog) does not work.
      Falling back to Default.
      According to Audio Setup, my backend is "gstreamer". There are no other items in the list.
      The Device Preference list consists of the following:
      • HD-Audio Generic (ALC662 rev3 Analog)
      • HD-Audio Generic (HDMI 0)
      • HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0 (Hardware device with all software conversions)
      • HD-Audio Generic, ALC662 rev3 Analog (Default Audio Device)
      • HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0 (Direct sample mixing device)
      • HD-Audio Generic, ALC662 rev3 Analog (Hardware device with all software conversions)
      • HD-Audio Generic ALC662 rev3 Analog (Direct sample mixing device
      • HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0 (HDMI Audio Output)
      • HD-Audio Generic, ALC662 rev3 Analog (Direct hardware device without any conversions)
      • HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0 (Direct hardware device without any conversions)

This is also the original order of the items in the list - I put it back after I was done fooling around with it.

Comment

check var/log/apt/history.log and term.log

find the autoremove section in each that corresponds to this and post it hear ,,,,,,,,along with the output of
        Code:
        uname -a
        16GB RAM

Comment

check var/log/apt/history.log and term.log

find the autoremove section in each that corresponds to this and post it hear ,,,,,,,,along with the output of
          Code:
          uname -a
          Sorry for the delay. Here's the autoremove contents of history.log:
          Code:
          Start-Date: 2015-04-09  20:37:38
          Commandline: apt-get autoremove
          Remove: linux-image-3.16.0-23-generic:amd64 (3.16.0-23.31), linux-headers-3.16.0-23:amd64 (3.16.0-23.31), linux-headers-3.16.0-23-generic:amd64 (3.16.0-23.31), linux-image-extra-3.16.0-23-generic:amd64 (3.16.0-23.31)
          End-Date: 2015-04-09  20:38:12

Start-Date: 2015-04-09  20:43:00
          Commandline: apt-get autoremove
          Remove: linux-image-extra-3.16.0-33-generic:amd64 (3.16.0-33.44), linux-signed-image-3.16.0-33-generic:amd64 (3.16.0-33.44), linux-headers-3.16.0-33:amd64 (3.16.0-33.44), linux-image-3.16.0-33-generic:amd64 (3.16.0-33.44), linux-headers-3.16.0-33-generic:amd64 (3.16.0-33.44)
          End-Date: 2015-04-09  20:43:32
          There was no autoremove section in term.log.

Results of uname -a:
          Code:
          Linux shadeclan-Aspire-M3470G 3.16.0-34-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 23 17:21:27 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Also, thanks for the info - good to know that there's somewhere that keeps all this info, in case I screw up ... which I, apparently, have.

Comment

I've always found that the HDMI output on my video card would grab first place in the hardware section of System Settings/Multimedia/Audio and Video Settings/ Audio Hardware Setup Tab. Check and make sure that (if you are not using it) HDMI is not selected.
            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
              I've always found that the HDMI output on my video card would grab first place in the hardware section of System Settings/Multimedia/Audio and Video Settings/ Audio Hardware Setup Tab. Check and make sure that (if you are not using it) HDMI is not selected.
              Sorry, but I don't have an Audio Hardware Setup tab in [System Settings/Multimedia/Audio and Video Settings/] - I have a "Device Preference" and a "Backend" tab - and, as far as that is concerned, the "Device Preference" order list I posted above: date-time [12th Apr 2015, 09:04 PM], shows the order of the devices and HDMI is not the first device.

Comment

OK lets try this then ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

with something playing audio click the kmix icon in the system tray ,,,,on the rite side of the popup you will see the volume slider for the app that is playing sound ,,,,,rite click the icon at the top of that slider and point to "move" you should then see "built in analog stereo" click it ,,,,,,,do you have sound now ,,,,,,,,the screenshot is of 15.04 but is the same actions for 14.04 and up.

I just wanted to see the .log files to see if by some chance some audio stuff or kernel headers for the running kernel (uname -a) got removed.

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	1
Size:	659.7 KB
ID:	642825

This is what I'm seeing when I play Amarok. No "Move" selection - and nothing happens when I right or left click on "Device Settings".

Comment

you may be missing something then ,,,,,but what ,,,,,,,,what dose
                    Code:
                    pactl list sources
                    show ?

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

you may be missing something then ,,,,,but what ,,,,,,,,what dose
                      Code:
                      pactl list sources
                      show ?

VINNY
                      Shows this:
                      Code:
                      pactl list sources
                      Connection failure: Connection refused
                      pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
                      Looks like, somehow, I'm missing everything.

Comment

yes I would say something is amiss hear ......@hear
                        Code:
                                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ pactl list sources  [/COLOR]
                        Source #0 
                                State: SUSPENDED 
                                Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor 
                                Description: Monitor of GK104 HDMI Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) 
                                Driver: module-alsa-card.c 
                                Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz 
                                Channel Map: front-left,front-right 
                                Owner Module: 6 
                                Mute: no 
                                Volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB 
                                        balance 0.00 
                                Base Volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB 
                                Monitor of Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo 
                                Latency: 0 usec, configured 0 usec 
                                Flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY  
                                Properties: 
                                        device.description = "Monitor of GK104 HDMI Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI)" 
                                        device.class = "monitor" 
                                        alsa.card = "1" 
                                        alsa.card_name = "HDA NVidia" 
                                        alsa.long_card_name = "HDA NVidia at 0xec080000 irq 17" 
                                        alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel" 
                                        device.bus_path = "pci-0000:01:00.1" 
                                        sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card1" 
                                        device.bus = "pci" 
                                        device.vendor.id = "10de" 
                                        device.vendor.name = "NVIDIA Corporation" 
                                        device.product.id = "0e0a" 
                                        device.product.name = "GK104 HDMI Audio Controller" 
                                        device.string = "1" 
                                        module-udev-detect.discovered = "1" 
                                        device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci" 
                                Formats: 
                                        pcm 

Source #1 
                                Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor 
                                Description: Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo 
                                Owner Module: 7 
                                Volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB 
                                        balance 0.00 
                                Base Volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB 
                                Monitor of Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo 
                                Flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY  
                                Properties: 
                                        device.description = "Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" 
                                        device.class = "monitor" 
                                        alsa.card = "0" 
                                        alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH" 
                                        alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xec310000 irq 32" 
                                        device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0" 
                                        sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0" 
                                        device.bus = "pci" 
                                        device.vendor.id = "8086" 
                                        device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation" 
                                        device.product.id = "8c20" 
                                        device.product.name = "8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller" 
                                        device.form_factor = "internal" 
                                        device.string = "0" 
                                Formats: 
                                        pcm 

Source #2 
                                Name: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo 
                                Description: Built-in Audio Analog Stereo 
                                Owner Module: 7 
                                Volume: front-left: 9891 /  15% / -49.27 dB,   front-right: 9891 /  15% / -49.27 dB 
                                        balance 0.00 
                                Base Volume: 20724 /  32% / -30.00 dB 
                                Monitor of Sink: n/a 
                                Flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY  
                                Properties: 
                                        alsa.resolution_bits = "16" 
                                        device.api = "alsa" 
                                        device.class = "sound" 
                                        alsa.class = "generic" 
                                        alsa.subclass = "generic-mix" 
                                        alsa.name = "ALC892 Analog" 
                                        alsa.id = "ALC892 Analog" 
                                        alsa.subdevice = "0" 
                                        alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0" 
                                        alsa.device = "0" 
                                        alsa.card = "0" 
                                        alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH" 
                                        alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xec310000 irq 32" 
                                        device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0" 
                                        sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0" 
                                        device.bus = "pci" 
                                        device.vendor.id = "8086" 
                                        device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation" 
                                        device.product.id = "8c20" 
                                        device.product.name = "8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller" 
                                        device.form_factor = "internal" 
                                        device.string = "front:0" 
                                        device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536" 
                                        device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768" 
                                        device.access_mode = "mmap+timer" 
                                        device.profile.name = "analog-stereo" 
                                        device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo" 
                                        device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" 
                                        alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC892" 
                                        alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0892,15580379,00100302" 
                                Ports: 
                                        analog-input-internal-mic: Internal Microphone (priority: 8900) 
                                        analog-input-mic: Microphone (priority: 8700, not available) 
                                        analog-input-linein: Line In (priority: 8100, not available) 
                                Active Port: analog-input-internal-mic 
                                Formats: 
                                        pcm

[/FONT]
                        check if you even have pulse audio stuff installed and allsa

O and lets see
                        Code:
                                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]lshw | grep -A 14 *-multimedia[/COLOR]

[/FONT]

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

This is what I get:
                          Code:
                           lshw | grep -A 14 *-multimedia
                                  *-multimedia:0
                                       description: Audio device                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
                                       product: BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]                                                                                                                                                                                          
                                       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                       physical id: 1.1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
                                       bus info: pci@0000:00:01.1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                                       version: 00                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                                       width: 32 bits                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                       clock: 33MHz                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
                                       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                                       configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
                                       resources: irq:56 memory:feb44000-feb47fff                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                                  *-pci:0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
                                       description: PCI bridge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                                       product: Family 12h Processor Root Port                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                          --
                                  *-multimedia:1
                                       description: Audio device                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
                                       product: FCH Azalia Controller                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                                       physical id: 14.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
                                       bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                                       version: 01                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                                       width: 64 bits                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                       clock: 33MHz                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
                                       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
                                       configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=64                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
                                       resources: irq:16 memory:feb40000-feb43fff                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                                  *-isa                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
                                       description: ISA bridge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                                       product: FCH LPC Bridge
                          All greek to me - except it appears to be showing hardware specs.

Comment

yes the system it's self is seeing the card and it has driver attached to it ,,,,,,so ...... try installing/reinstalling "kubuntu-desktop" maby it will pull in any kde sound stuff that is missing ,,,,,,,,then it will be down to system stuff that is missing ,,,,,,

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

OK - I'll try that tomorrow and let you know the results.

Comment

Working...
                              X