This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 + Kubuntu 14.10 = weird sound bug

Hi guys. I recently upgraded my PC. What's weird is when running Kubuntu I have to plug my stereo speakers into the SS-Out (subwoofer) jack to get sound working properly. If I plug it into the red Line Out jack at the rear (the one I'm supposed to use) the volume is WAY too low. Of course under Windows 8.1 64-bit I have to plug the speakers into the red Line Out jack. How would I go about correcting this bug I have all volumes maxed out and I have it set to use analog stereo duplex. I tried using hdjackrestack but I have no idea what I'm doing.

mhajii210

1 try opening a terminal (konsole) and enter
    Code:
    alsamixer
    and see if all the channels are up .

use the right and left arrow keys to switch chanels the up and down arrows for volume and the M key to mute unmute and the escape key to exit.

2 install the package pavucontrol (pulse audio volume control)
    Code:
    sudo apt install pavucontrol
    and try using it to setup the sound ,,,,,,it may take some trial and error
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I discovered that I have to shut down the pc after running Windows 8.1 instead of merely restarting it. If I power down completely and then boot into Kubuntu, the sound issue is fixed! I then have to plug the stereo speakers into the red Line Out jack and the volume issue is completely resolved. Weird that restarting from Windows and booting into Kubuntu somehow messes up the audio. Since I discovered an easy way to fix it, I'm not going to worry about it. I wonder why this happens though?

mhajii210

Comment

Great news! I discovered this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1357723 and I followed the instructions here http://www.linux.com/community/blogs...mintpeppermint to update the kernel manually. It seems this bug is a known issue with older kernel builds (including the one that comes with Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma 4). Kernel 3.18 corrects my sound bug after a restart from Windows!! I'm a VERY happy camper.

mhajii210

Comment

you know now that you mention that ,,,,, I do remember 1 box I had (do not remember the specks ,,long time ago) that if I rebooted from XP I had no front output from the sound , but a shutdown and restart it worked .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X