This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to set quirks for pm-utils for Nvidia 750Ti

I finally figured out how to suspend my Kubuntu 14.04 pc with the Nvidia 750Ti card by using pm-suspend quirks.

The problem is where to make the changes so it is used by default?

Here is the command line needed with the quirks.
    Code:
    sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-save-pci --quirk-s3-mode
    I found on another forum someone made the changes as quoted below but:
    1) I do not have that file referenced below so I have no idea what format or anything to put there
    2) Is it possible this file will be overwritten on upgrades?

I put it in my /var/cache/pm-utils/last_known_working.quirkdbfile and I think it's working now.
    Does anyone know the proper place and format for adding the quirks to the suspend options in Kubuntu/Kde?

New developments:
    I tried adding the following items to the file I created in /etc/pm/config.d/Nvidia which completely failed to do anything. So I end up with black screen and have to brute force restart the computer with the power button.
    Code:
    QUIRK_DPMS_ON="true"
    QUIRK_SAVE_PCI="true"
    QUIRK_S3_MODE="true"
    It looks like I can add my quirk hooks to files already present here /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler.
    But then in the log it looks like it is ignored
    Code:
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend:nVidia binary video drive detected, not using quirks.
    Last edited by anika200; Jan 19, 2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Finally got it working.

Finally I have a properly sleeping and waking desktop
      Turned out to be easy.

Here is what I did.
      1) make a text file named pcsleep or something and put the following in it and make it executible.
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend
      2) Now in system settings open kde power management and under energy saving check the bottom box for "Run Script" and then select the file created in step one and a time and you are done.

Thats it, your pc will sleep and wake without any problems with the Nvidia proprietary drivers and the 750Ti video card.

I still do not know how this is different from selecting suspend from the kmenu or setting the normal timer in the energy savings
      I did run into many dead ends trying to get pm-suspend to do it directly, not recommended because as it is implemented in Kubuntu it skips the whole quirk settings when it sees the proprietary driver and also you can not easily use it from a script because it needs sudo.
      Another note, supposedly when systemd is implemented this will get easier.
      Last edited by anika200; Jan 20, 2015, 10:49 AM.

Comment

is this a problem with just that model Nvidia card ,,,,,,,,,,cus @hear with a GTX-860M I havent had a problem with sleeping the box , closing the lid, Fn+sleep key(F4) or leaving it unplugged and unattended.
        ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          is this a problem with just that model Nvidia card
          VINNY
          I think so but I only have one persons opinion on that .

I have used different cards in this pc and sleep would work as normal, I got the new card (a while ago now) and sleep did not work (garbled or blank image on resume).

I think there is a 650Ti, 750Ti (the one I have) and the 850Ti that may show the same behavior. It is a pcie video card in a desktop computer.
          Last edited by anika200; Jan 21, 2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X