This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install network drivers because gcc is absent

Guys, I have very interesting situation. I decided to install Kubuntu 14.04 to my old laptop (dual core but more than 5 years old) so I uploaded 1Gb image from official site, created boot flashcard and installed system. But after installation I haven't networks drivers neither on lan (Realtek) nor wireless card (Broadcom). Actually I was ready to such issue and easily found drivers in internet using other PC. These drivers are makefiles but trying to compile them I found that my system haven't gcc!!!!!
    I was wondered of such unexpected surprise but found solution in internet. I should create local repository on my laptop with some gcc deb files and install them locally, but I couldn't create local repository because "sudo apt-get install build-essential" also couldn't be executed on my laptop. That makes me very upset because I spent half a day for all previous steps.
    So does someone know how can I update my system? Maybe there are some other Kubuntu 14 images with more functions (like gcc) and drivers? Long time ago I installed kubuntu 12 from such image and I hadn't any problems with gcc. Thank you.

It would be nice to have some more info in case someone here has the same hardware and solutions.
    What is your laptop?
    What are your ethernet cards?
    Code:
    lspci | grep Ethernet
    It is very unusual that you would have to build your own drivers, how did you come to that solution?

Comment

Laptop is HP Pavillion dv5-1190er (model was produced nearly 2009 year).
      I have Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Ethernet Controller (due to such lspci command). Here I found its driver (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false)
      Wireless card is Broadcom wifi card. In my Kubuntu 12 I found wireless driver in driver manager, but now I can't get it because I haven't internet connection. Link to driver (http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php).
      And this is link to instructions for gcc installation I used (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=79896).

Comment

Not sure if it is on the install dvd or not but the driver seems to be available in the repos, can you search with apt and using your install media as source.
        Code:
         sudo apt search rtl81
        Sorting... Done
        Full Text Search... Done
        flashrom/trusty 0.9.6.1+r1563-1 amd64
          Identify, read, write, erase, and verify BIOS/ROM/flash chips

nictools-pci/trusty 1.3.8-2 amd64
          Diagnostic tools for many PCI Ethernet cards

r8168-dkms/trusty 8.037.00-1 all
          dkms source for the r8168 network driver
        I think that last one is your driver.

Also, your wireless card driver is already there as well.
        Code:
        broadcom-sta-common/trusty 6.30.223.141-1 all  Common files for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
        What media did you use for install, dvd image or live image or?
        1) Make sure the image media is still in the source list for packages to install using Muon or apt and that it is mounted.
        2) Search for the drivers via "apt search" to get the exact name.
        3) Install with "apt-get install exact file name here"
        4) If you get connected update everything asap.
        Last edited by anika200; Jan 16, 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
          can you search with apt and using your install media as source.
          Do you mean I need to add entity directly to /etc/apt/sources.list? Maybe you can write me in details how can I add my flashcard as such source.
          Actually I tried to do it through graphical instrument (right now I can't remember what I done) but there was opportunity to add only CD disk not flash card.

1) Make sure the image media is still in the source list for packages
          Here I also need your help) I don't know linux very well(

Comment

Ok we will do the command line since you can not remember if you have Muon package manager installed or not.

Make sure your original install media is in place and mounted (can you see it in Dolphin?) and then from command line:

Take a quick peek at the sources.list file to see if the install media is listed as in the first entry below that starts with #
            Code:
            cat /etc/apt/sources.list
            # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 14.04 LTS _Trusty Tahr_ - Release amd64 (20140416.1)]/ trusty main multiverse restricted universe
            If you see it there then open kate and remove the # and space before (in this example) the deb cdromx xxxxxx.
            Open kate from the terminal
            Code:
            kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
            Save the file and then run apt-get update to drag in the new source (your flashcard??)
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Then search for the drivers as I already posted earlier.
            Hopefully that gets you going
            Last edited by anika200; Jan 16, 2015, 10:28 AM. Reason: added mounting check

Comment

I've installed my lan driver in a very strange way
              I added my flash card to sources list (deb file:/media/alex/UUI trusty main) but I didn't find any drivers valid for me. Then I tried different solutions and found that my apt-get install doesn't work for any program, not only for gcc. I did
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install -f
              and only then everything started working. Now it seems I've installed my lan driver (network doesn't work, but it is another problem I think). I still don't understand what is "install -f" and what problem I had, so you can write me here your opinion.

Comment

That is strange, I have never had to use the -f option with apt-get.
                Lets see what else, the network drivers are kernel modules.
                Did you install both network adapter modules, wireless and Ethernet?
                Did you reboot?
                Are the kernel modules loading?
                Enter the command below and see if you see the module and see if it is being used (has a 1 not 0).
                Code:
                lsmod
                Have you checked in network connection (icon on taskbar) to see if the card needs activated or not or what settings it has?

Really though I am no expert on network/laptop cards but this seems way too hard. I hope I am not missing something obvious.

Comment

Really though I am no expert on network/laptop cards but this seems way too hard. I hope I am not missing something obvious.
                  Anika, thank you for your consideration. It seems everything works properly with network now.

Comment

Working...
                  X