X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing addressboo.csv file

Hi,

I have exported the contacts from kaddressbook and have a file kaddressbook.csv in my documents folder.

How can I test this file to ensure that it works as an address book contacts file?

I assume that the csv file can be updated by simply re-exporting the contacts file (keeping the name the same) when changes have been made to contacts

Thanks

Happy New Year

Ps. Am I correct in thinking that the difference between exporting and copying is that in the former one gets all the background formatting - bit shaky on this?
    Last edited by anonprivate; Jan 03, 2015, 07:28 AM.
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

You can check the data by opening the file in kate, for example, .csv files are plain text files ("csv" stands for comma-separated values).

The exported csv file is not a file that natively "works as an address book contacts file", but you can import the csv file to another contact management application that supports csv files as import files (many of them do). You can naturally also import the csv file to another kaddressbook installation, or use it as a backup.
    Last edited by kubicle; Jan 03, 2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Thank you for responding.

I think I understand.

The csv file will be used by a contact management application to create an addressbook file.

I chose the csv file simply because I have heard of the format. The LDIF format I believe to be an interchange format file, and GMX, group mail. I could not choose between them. I had a look at the manual but it did not help regarding these formats.

I hope that I made a good choice.

Best wishes.
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Working...
      X