X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best VNC software for remote access

Hi,

wanted to install vnc software so to be able to access my machine from my workplace.

Two questions come up straight away:
    1. when searched for vnc on the software center there is a huge list any recommendation?
    2. if I want to access this from my workplace how can I do?

Will be enough setting dyndns account and forwarding traffic in my home router?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

KDE has default programs for both VNC client and server operations.

At home, install the package krfb. Run Krfb and select Enable Desktop Sharing. Also select Enable Unattended Access, because you won't be at home to grant permission when you connect from work. Finally, add a rule to your router that forwards incoming traffic on destination port 5900/tcp to your PC.

At work, install the package krdc. Run KRDC, choose a VNC connection, and enter your router's public IP address in the Connect to field. You can use your Dyn-provided DNS name instead, if you've got that set up correctly.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll give it a try over the next weekend and let you know how I go about this.

Is it just port 5900 or even 5901 that I need to have forwarded?

Comment

Just 5900. Krfb shares whatever X display you run it on. The default is :0, and Krfb will publish that on 5900/tcp. If you want to share more than one X display, you'd need a separate port number for each. By convention, people follow the notion of 5900 + displaynumber. So if, for example, you wanted to share X display :2, you'd publish that on 5902/tcp. Again, this is only a convention.

Comment

Working...
        X