Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I remove ecryptfs from my system.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I remove ecryptfs from my system.

I found ecryptfs in my /dev folder, I did not install anything encrypted in my filesystem, how can I move this. Contents of /dev. Also do you guys see anything in there that does not belong. Single user system.

Code:
    rafal@rafal-desktop:~$ ls /dev
    autofs           input               ptmx    sda2  sg3       tty17  tty39  tty60      ttyS23   vcs4
    block            kmsg                pts     sda3  sg4       tty18  tty4   tty61      ttyS24   vcs5
    bsg              log                 ram0    sda5  sg5       tty19  tty40  tty62      ttyS25   vcs6
    btrfs-control    loop0               ram1    sdb   sg6       tty2   tty41  tty63      ttyS26   vcs7
    bus              loop1               ram10   sdb1  sg7       tty20  tty42  tty7       ttyS27   vcsa
    cdrom            loop2               ram11   sdc   sg8       tty21  tty43  tty8       ttyS28   vcsa1
    char             loop3               ram12   sdc1  sg9       tty22  tty44  tty9       ttyS29   vcsa2
    console          loop4               ram13   sdd   shm       tty23  tty45  ttyprintk  ttyS3    vcsa3
    core             loop5               ram14   sdd2  snapshot  tty24  tty46  ttyS0      ttyS30   vcsa4
    cpu              loop6               ram15   sde   snd       tty25  tty47  ttyS1      ttyS31   vcsa5
    cpu_dma_latency  loop7               ram2    sde1  sr0       tty26  tty48  ttyS10     ttyS4    vcsa6
    cuse             loop-control        ram3    sdf   stderr    tty27  tty49  ttyS11     ttyS5    vcsa7
    disk             mapper              ram4    sdf1  stdin     tty28  tty5   ttyS12     ttyS6    vfio
    dri              mcelog              ram5    sdg   stdout    tty29  tty50  ttyS13     ttyS7    vga_arbiter
    [U][B]ecryptfs[/B][/U]         mem                 ram6    sdg1  tty       tty3   tty51  ttyS14     ttyS8    vhci
    fd               net                 ram7    sdh   tty0      tty30  tty52  ttyS15     ttyS9    vhost-net
    full             network_latency     ram8    sdh1  tty1      tty31  tty53  ttyS16     uhid     watchdog
    fuse             network_throughput  ram9    sdi   tty10     tty32  tty54  ttyS17     uinput   xconsole
    hidraw0          null                random  sdi1  tty11     tty33  tty55  ttyS18     urandom  zero
    hidraw1          nvidia0             rfkill  sdj   tty12     tty34  tty56  ttyS19     usb
    hidraw3          nvidiactl           rtc     sg0   tty13     tty35  tty57  ttyS2      vcs
    hidraw4          port                rtc0    sg1   tty14     tty36  tty58  ttyS20     vcs1
    hidraw5          ppp                 sda     sg10  tty15     tty37  tty59  ttyS21     vcs2
    hpet             psaux               sda1    sg2   tty16     tty38  tty6   ttyS22     vcs3
    I tried to find it using
    Code:
    rafal@rafal-desktop:~$ PRIVATE=`cat ~/.ecryptfs/Private.mnt 2>/dev/null || echo $HOME/Private`
    rafal@rafal-desktop:~$ $ PRIVATE=`cat ~/.ecryptfs/Private.mnt 2>/dev/null || echo $HOME/Private`
    $: command not found
    The program 'ecryptfs-umount-private' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install ecryptfs-utils
    rafal@rafal-desktop:~$ ecryptfs-umount-private
    Should I install ecryptfs-utils? Synaptic tells me libecryptfs0 is not installed. I did find a ~/.gnome2_private directory which has me a little worried.

Also noticed vhost-net , which I read is (and I quote), why do I even have this?
    Specifically, when UDP traffic is sent from a host machine to a guest virtual machine on that host, performance degradation can occur if the guest virtual machine processes incoming data at a rate slower than the host machine sends it. In this situation enabling vhost-net causes the UDP socket's receive buffer to overflow more quickly, which results in greater packet loss. It is therefore better to disable in this situation to slow the traffic, and improve overall performance.
    To disable vhost-net edit the following sub-element in the guest virtual machine's XML configuration file and define the network as follows:
    Last edited by bonkers; Nov 29, 2014, 08:06 AM.

I assume you noticed /dev/ecryptfs is empty, size 0 bytes, owned by root and you have nothing ecryptfs installed?
    So why worry, it's just a stub in the system, ready for use when you are.
    Why would you install ecrypt-utils, you have need for it?

About vhost, as the name says it can be used for communication with virtual machines, do you have such?
    Again it is available in case you would need it.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, the makers of which have made many decisions so it will be suited for many different people and situations.

In case you can't live with those pre-set ideas of others you could try 'Linux from Scratch'.
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    It is a distro but not in the conventional sense, you decide what is included because you do the compiling from source code.
    Another distro that might appeal for similar reasons are Gentoo or maybe Slackware.

In the mean time keep investigating and asking, this way we all learn.

Comment

Originally posted by bonkers View Post
      I found ecryptfs in my /dev folder, I did not install anything encrypted in my filesystem, how can I move this. Contents of /dev. Also do you guys see anything in there that does not belong. Single user system.
      /dev is not a subdirectory on any disk in your system. One thing you need to understand about Linux is that everything in the operating system appears like a file. /dev is a transient "filesystem" populated by Udev when your computer boots; most items here point to actual devices (like disk drives) or virtual devices (like TTY consoles). If you happened to have an encrypted file system on your drive, then /dev/ecryptfs would contain a handle that mediates communication between the kernel's ecryptfs module and user-space programs.

Originally posted by bonkers View Post
      Also noticed vhost-net, which I read is (and I quote), why do I even have this?
      /dev/vhost-net is created by libvirt, used for interfacing KVM with virtual machine management systems. /dev/vhost-net mediates network traffic between the host's physical NIC and a virtual machine's virtual NIC.

I would observe that the majority of your posts here indicate a curious fear of much of what you're finding on your machine as you explore various elements of Linux. It's good that you're Googling to find out more. But you need to realize that much of what you'll find is written (as I've mentioned previously) for people who already have a basic understanding of Linux and its common components. For instance, if you knew about Udev, then you'd know what /dev is for and wouldn't need to ask about "deleting" what's there. Again, I urge you to find some good basic guides and take the time to digest that information before you accidentally render your system unusable and risk losing data.

Comment

Working...
      X