This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonkers View Post
    I tried doing a fresh install of 14.10 and even an alpha vivid, on 14.10 I get to the screen where you are normally supposed to pick *try kubuntu or install kubuntu, but all I get is a empty box, no matter how many coffee coasters I bake ( back from when I used to use gnomebaker :P )
    What kind of machine is this, and what kind of graphics card?

When I tried the alpha vivid, the bios popped up a screen telling me it was booting it in insecure mode, it is as if someone or something is trying to keep me locked down to 14.04.
    Modern machines have replaced the aging BIOS firmware with a newer type called UEFI. One feature of UEFI is Secure Boot. I usually recommend people leave it disabled because it isn't designed to address the kinds of threats home, small office, and individual users will face. (It does have a place in large enterprises, perhaps.) You can ignore this "scareifying" warning.

Not to mention I can't get rid of SELINUX, when I know for a fact it has been ditched in favor of apparmor, which at the begining of the install was being hammered pretty hard with errors on dmesg until it no longer worked period. So I tried SELINUX, but when I try to remove it, synaptic tells me that pretty much every package is a dependency that needs to be uninstalled.
    What? First, there is no deprecation of one for the other. SELinux is alive and well in many other distros. Fedora and Red Hat install it by default; Android Jellybean uses it in permissive mode; Android KitKat and Lollipop use it enforcing mode. AppArmor and SELinux are mandatory access control mechanisms. They differ in their approaches. SELinux applies a label to each file to confine processes to certain files and enforce confidentiality and integrity policies. But it's complicated to maintain. AppArmor uses rules applied to paths to determine what actions are permitted and where. It has no mechanism for defining confidentiality and integrity policies. *buntu has used AppArmor for a long time; their SELinux packages haven't received maintenance for quite a while and should be considered abandoned. I can't imagine how you even got SELinux on your system.

When I make a new Kubuntu_64 coaster, K3B only claims to burn about 97~ 98~ish percent of the 1.2, something like (for example) 1025mb of 1040mb, then it is finished.
    Please try creating a Live USB instead.

Comment

Working...
    X