This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie that can't seem to install

So as the title says i am a total newbie that cannot for the life of me figure out how to install kubuntu linux 14.04 LTS. I downloaded Kubuntu linux 14.04 LTS from the Kubuntu official website. I then used the "Universal USB installer" (Note: I have also used Rufu and Linux Live USB installers) to format my 8g USB with the ISO file I downloaded above from the official website. Then i shut down computer. Turn it back on, go into bios and change the boot order to boot from my 8g USB. i hit save and exit. Computer shuts down/ turns back on and come up with a linux prompt however, it says "linux no default or ui configuration directive detected." I have already tired renaming the files isolinux.bin –>syslinux.bin and then isolinux.cfg –> syslinux.cfg. However, I have had no success. can anyone help a poor foolish newbie in seeing what i have done wrong?

I am currently running a windows 7 64bit hp laptop. not sure if that

I cannot help you with universal USB installer as I've never used it, when ever I've installed Linux I always burn the ISO to a CD or DVD (depending on the size of the ISO file). If I were you I would burn the disk image to a DVD and use that to boot up and install Kubuntu.

If you still prefer to use the USB stick then I'm sure someone else will come along and help you.

Comment

I don't know if this helps or not. Kubuntu provides a startup disk creator, which also works on USBs. What I do is first to prepare the usb drive using that program (though I'm guessing that the one you use does the same thing--it erases what's on it. Then I download the ISO image file from the Kubuntu website, which saves it in my hard disk. Then in turn I copy the image file onto the usb drive. That can take around a half hour, I believe. When it's done, the usb drive should be ready. It always works for me.

Comment

i agree with Nick, burn to DVD..

if you insist on USB have a look at Unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

I, too, agree with Nick. Burn to a DVD. But, ONLY after you have compared the check sum of the iso you downloaded against the checksum given on the download page. Then, when you burn the iso onto a DVD also make sure the "verify" option is checked so that you will know what you downloaded is what you burned. Then insert the DVD into the machine and reboot it. What ever the hot key is for your BIOS to select a boot device use it and select the CDROM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
            if you insist on USB have a look at Unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
            Unetbootin won't create UEFI-bootable media; it can only handle BIOS. Modern machines, especially those with Windows pre-installed, will work best in UEFI mode, which requires creating boot media with UEFI support.

Are you trying to create the bootable USB on another Linux machine, or on Windows? If Linux, then use Mkusb. If Windows, then use Win32DiskImager.

Comment

My guess would be that the BIOS/UEFI is ****.
              So I would try and look if an option to protect for booting on unknown sources is there, and uncheck it (sort of safe boot)
              Then put back your booting sequence in the right order (not the USB first), and start by pressing the key which will open the boot popup (mine is F8)
              Select your USB drive from this menu. If you have two options (as I do) with "UEFI<NameOfYourKey>, and USB<NameOfYourKey>, try USB first. If it doesn't work, reboot and try the other one.

What is your disk configuration ? Do your know if your laptop has 1, or 2 disks inside ?

I installed my Kubuntu 64 with no problems, using http://www.linuxliveusb.com/, http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/, or http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/ (I did it a lot of times )
              But if I can advise one, I would say Universal USB Installer. Don't forget to tick the 'Format' box.

Have a good one.

Comment

All these universal installers almost always fail to correctly create UEFI-bootable media.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/
                https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/0...stick-writers/

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Unetbootin won't create UEFI-bootable media; it can only handle BIOS. Modern machines, especially those with Windows pre-installed, will work best in UEFI mode, which requires creating boot media with UEFI support.

Are you trying to create the bootable USB on another Linux machine, or on Windows? If Linux, then use Mkusb. If Windows, then use Win32DiskImager.
                  Ok I have a windows machine currently. so does the Win32DiskImager work for a 64 bit computer or does the Win32 mean that its only for 32 bit computers.

@Klakh do you mean how many hard drives do i have? i have a built in Hard drive and an external hard drive that i have partioned into two parts in hopes to install kubuntu on the Raw GB partition.... Not totally sure how to do that either haha but hopefully its not too difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Is-ith View Post
                    Ok I have a windows machine currently. so does the Win32DiskImager work for a 64 bit computer or does the Win32 mean that its only for 32 bit computers.
                    It's just a name, it'll work on 64-bit machines. Confusing, I know.

Comment

Hmmm So the Kubuntu you're trying to install has to be on an external HDD ? How is it connected to the PC ?
                      What is the type of the partitions on the external HDD ?

Comment

Originally posted by Klakh View Post
                        Hmmm So the Kubuntu you're trying to install has to be on an external HDD ? How is it connected to the PC ?
                        What is the type of the partitions on the external HDD ?
                        Eventually yes ill be trying to install it onto my external hard drive however. I first need to get it onto my USB to then install it onto my external, however, i am pretty sure I broke because now it only has 2.28 MB of memory lol... Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Follow Steve's advice for the correct USB writer.
                          For installing Linux I haven't burned a CD/DVD in years save for a very old computer that can't boot from USB.

Installing on an external USB hard disk is just as easy as installing it on the internal HD and providing it is USB3 it works very well.
                          You can even install the Grub boot loader on the external drive so the original computer isn't touched at all.
                          Personally I always rpartition the hard disk using the version of parted included on the Live disk and then follow up by selecting Manual Partitioning during the install.

Just make sure you understand the disk and partition naming conventions of Linux and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Is-ith View Post
                            I first need to get it onto my USB to then install it onto my external, however, i am pretty sure I broke because now it only has 2.28 MB of memory lol... Any ideas anyone?
                            Open a console window and run lsblk. As an example, here's mine. I have two hard drives, one with three partitions and one with one partition.
                            Code:
                            steve@t520:~$ [B]lsblk[/B]
                            NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
                            sda      8:0    0 238.5G  0 disk 
                            ├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
                            ├─sda2   8:2    0   229G  0 part /home
                            └─sda3   8:3    0     9G  0 part [SWAP]
                            sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
                            └─sdb1   8:17   0 931.5G  0 part
                            Now insert the USB drive and run the command again. The USB drive will appear in the list, shown in red in my example:
                            Code:
                            steve@t520:~$ [B]lsblk[/B]
                            NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
                            sda      8:0    0 238.5G  0 disk 
                            ├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
                            ├─sda2   8:2    0   229G  0 part /home
                            └─sda3   8:3    0     9G  0 part [SWAP]
                            sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk 
                            └─sdb1   8:17   0 931.5G  0 part 
                            [B][COLOR="#B22222"]sdc      8:32   1   1.9G  0 disk 
                            └─sdc1   8:33   1   1.9G  0 part[/COLOR][/B]
                            Yours might be different -- that's why it's good to check first.

Once you have the name, run sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdX (where X is the correct letter for the drive, ignore any number after it). Post the output of that command here. Then we can determine what to do next.
                            Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 24, 2014, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X