This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not installing proper

I have got the latest version kubutua. I would like to be able to install it as the main operating system. My previous os system was windows 7 64 bit

My motherboard bios is a gigabyte UEFI Dual bios.

When I completed the install and restart system it comes up with message booting in insecure mode. I am trying to make it boot like a normal windows 7 does with out showing that panel.

What have i done wrong.

i think you just need to enable secure boot in bios

you didnt do anything wrong
    K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
      i think you just need to enable secure boot in bios

you didnt do anything wrong
      I cannot enable it with bios version I have. Going to get new motherboard with i5 this week. Will get my IT guy to install lunix for me.

Comment

ive heard many good things about lunix
        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Please don't enable Secure Boot. It adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to routine PC maintenance and actually does nothing to address the kinds of threats commonly faced by home users and small businesses. It may have a place in large enterprises and on machines containing high-value intellectual property, like source code repositories and software-based virtual networking appliances. But the PC in your house or the laptop in your briefcase derive no benefit from Secure Boot.

Comment

Originally posted by riwakawd View Post
            My motherboard bios is a gigabyte UEFI Dual bios.

When I completed the install and restart system it comes up with message booting in insecure mode. I am trying to make it boot like a normal windows 7 does with out showing that panel.

What have i done wrong.
            'Could be that you have installed with BIOS in UEFI mode. My BIOS has an option for disabling UEFI and using "Legacy" instead. Your problem is quite probably nothing more than an annoyance at this point. But, in the future (as in later today or 2-3 years from now), perhaps you can set your BIOS to function in "Legacy" mode, and disable UEFI, which I am guessing will eliminate this annoyance for you. Theorectically, upon performing that adjustment, then you reinstall and eliminate the annoyance.
            Last edited by theAdmiral71; Nov 20, 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

@riwakawd: Just ignore the message. Secure Boot is an unnecessary technology so keeping it disabled will simplify maintaining your computer (and also not actually reduce your security). The message is just an annoyance.

@theAdmiral71: In modern machines, you cannot disable UEFI. The firmware is only UEFI. Most UEFI firmwares offer a legacy option, which emulates the older BIOS firmware. I strongly urge everyone to leave the firmware in UEFI mode. UEFI offers many advantages over BIOS; taking the time to learn it is worth the investment. Start by reading the Wikipedia page.

Comment

@SteveRiley: I also run Debian as my primary OS, and could not install it as of Version 7 without putting BIOS in Legacy mode vice UEFI. I am sure UEFI has its place, but a rather absolute statement "urging everyone to leave firmware in UEFI mode" is just a bit of a stretch, Friend.

Comment

The Debian Live ISO is a hybrid, meaning that it will boot from both CD and USB. It also includes all the necessary files to boot into either UEFI or BIOS.

I stand by my statement urging UEFI mode. BIOS is over 30 years old and has outlived its usefulness. UEFI provides a complete pre-boot environment that simplifies troubleshooting, makes it much easier to manage muliple operating systems on machines, can be accessed over a network, has no weird requirements about where a bootloader must be physically located on a disk, and even provides a shell. BIOS was designed for the era of floppy disks and morphed into a cobbled-together set of hacks that finally died when UEFI took over.

Comment

I'm certain there are still plenty of computers out there that still have a floppy drive.

Comment

And if those machines are booting from a floppy disk, then BIOS (or UEFI in compatibility mode) is the only option. Today, that's a corner case. On a modern machine with a fast hard drive or SSD, there's no defensible reason for persisting with BIOS emulation.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        And if those machines are booting from a floppy disk, then BIOS (or UEFI in compatibility mode) is the only option. Today, that's a corner case. On a modern machine with a fast hard drive or SSD, there's no defensible reason for persisting with BIOS emulation.
                        I agree. Thank you for defining your parameters, Mr. Riley. But, I still don't think that someone having a floppy drive puts them in an extreme category. 8" floppy? Maybe. 3.5"? I don't think so. I would say that there is a large majority of Linux users who do not have edgy technology---technology that easily lends itself to the use of appropriate firmware like UEFI, and support of your "urge". Granted, BIOS will fade away with the economy, but Linux is popular for many reasons, one of which is that it works on a far more vast array of machines and devices than its competitors.

Comment

Working...
                        X