This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activate extra function keys on a Logitech K750 USB backlit keyboard

I recently replaced my keyboard with the above described keyboard.

Although I have a dual-boot system with Windows 7 installed, so that I can use all the extra function keys provided by the new K750 keyboard, I spend all my time on the Kubuntu 14.04 OS, except when having problems to solve; as a result, the Logitech extra function keys are generally unavailable to me.

The "Home" extra function key seems to work fine, and the only other extra-function key I would like to use is the "Email" key. How do I get the (mail + FN) key to function in combination to open my Kmail application? Thanks

Hi, I just did the same thing with my keyboard (I have a sigma wireless kb with also extra keys, and one of them has a mail symbol printed on it)

To make this key launch kmail, I did the following things:
    - Launch kde system settings
    - In system settings, open Shortcuts and gestures
    - Click on the edit button and select new/Global shortcut/command url

- Type in some meaningfull txt in the colum name so you know what the shortcut is for
    - Klick on the trigger tab, click on the shotcut configuration field and push the mail button on your keyboard.
    when you click in this field it will show you the txt "input", and as soon as I pressed my mail key, it changed in what you see below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	642581
    - Now to make this key launch kmail, go to the action tab and type in kmail inthe command/url field.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	642580

A question to the forum admins: I did a copy paste from ask ubuntu of the first picture, it showed in the post.
    pasted the last pictures from snapshot, and they did not show, so I needed to save them in my home directory
    and upload them via 'insert picture' why do pictures from snapshot do not show when pasted in the post ?
    Last edited by mbohets; Nov 13, 2014, 04:53 AM. Reason: pasted screenshot pictures did not show
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Thanks, friend. It worked perfectly.
      Originally posted by mbohets View Post
      Hi, I just did the same thing with my keyboard (I have a sigma wireless kb with also extra keys, and one of them has a mail symbol printed on it)

To make this key launch kmail, I did the following things:
      - Launch kde system settings
      - In system settings, open Shortcuts and gestures
      - Click on the edit button and select new/Global shortcut/command url

- Type in some meaningfull txt in the colum name so you know what the shortcut is for
      - Klick on the trigger tab, click on the shotcut configuration field and push the mail button on your keyboard.
      when you click in this field it will show you the txt "input", and as soon as I pressed my mail key, it changed in what you see below.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5482[/ATTACH]
      - Now to make this key launch kmail, go to the action tab and type in kmail inthe command/url field.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5481[/ATTACH]

A question to the forum admins: I did a copy paste from ask ubuntu of the first picture, it showed in the post.
      pasted the last pictures from snapshot, and they did not show, so I needed to save them in my home directory
      and upload them via 'insert picture' why do pictures from snapshot do not show when pasted in the post ?

Comment

This has been a very interesting thread!

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X