This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwalletmanger

While connecting to the Internet kwallet usually starts and asks for a password.

Recently, it has not appeared.

I ran kwalletmanager and I received the following message:

file://home/andrew/usr/share/doc/kwalletmanager does not exist.

However, using Dolphin I find that kwalletmanger exists under
    Root/usr/share/doc/kwalletmanager

Advice please
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

How did you run kwallet manager? If from Commandline, what was the precise command used, and what was the exact message given? Was it a "Warning" (often these can be ignored ) Does the program open and run correctly? Many programs look for files in various standard Linux locations until it finds them, and ($HOME)/usr/share/doc might be one of those - I cannot get kwalletmanager to display what you are seeing, so pasting your exact output would be helpful.

I can't find a reason it wants to look for things in the user's home folder.
    /usr/share/doc/kwalletmanager would be the standard place for it. (yes, the "Root" is not added to the beginning, the location /Root/usr/share/doc would be a completely different place than /usr/share/doc )

Comment

Thank you for responding

I tried to run kwalletmanager form the search command at the bottom of Homerun Kicker (My launch application interface).

However, all I get is the message ... does not exist (above).

I can't make a snap of the message because once that warning has been activated the system freezes, although FF can be used if it is open at the time.

I'll post the above message on KDE and see if they have any suggestions.

Can I uninstall and re-install kwallet? - I don't want to uninstall Kubuntu.

Should I consider uninstalling kwallet? If so, what would be the recommended procedure?

I wont take any action at present, I am just looking for alternatives.

Best wishes.

A

Ps. I have just tried running the wallet and the manager form the command line. I could not find any man entries, so I guessed. I did not have any luck. I give the output below:

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ kwalletmanager
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ kwallet
      No command 'kwallet' found, did you mean:
      Command 'kwalletd' from package 'kde-runtime' (universe)
      kwallet: command not found

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$ kwallet manager
      No command 'kwallet' found, did you mean:
      Command 'kwalletd' from package 'kde-runtime' (universe)
      kwallet: command not found
      andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~$
      Last edited by anonprivate; Nov 05, 2014, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Try running it from konsole, (kwalletmanager) and see what errors you get. Maybe you did this already?

Did you ever run your desktop as root user, did you ever create a user named Root?
        Last edited by anika200; Nov 05, 2014, 08:14 AM. Reason: added inquiry

Comment

I don't think so.

I have found a file: kdewallet.kwl in >Home>.kde>share>apps>kwallet.

This file is not checked as executable. Is this correct?

Comment

@hear their are 2 files their
            Code:
            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet$ ls
            kdewallet.kwl  kdewallet.salt
            VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, Neither are checked to be executable. Should they be?

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                Yes, Neither are checked to be executable. Should they be?
                No

Comment

Any idea what is causing the problem, and how it can be solved?

Note, that I would rather disable the wallet (It is not working anyway), than undertake a re-installation of Kubuntu. Re-installing the wallet would be acceptable.

Comment

I have just uninstalled and re-installed the walletmanager.

It did not run at the command prompt.

I saw the following output:

I have not yet re-booted

At least I know I can always uninstall the wallet

Comment

which will do nothing

It did not run at the command prompt.

Confused - you said you didn't run it from the command line, yet....

I saw the following output:

I have not yet re-booted

At least I know I can always uninstall the wallet
                      Hmm....nevermind..... when I run kwallet, I get this output:

Code:
                      lark@lark-Latitude-D630:~$ kwalletmanager 
                      Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
                      Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
                      IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
                      Note the extra lines, that come up after the wallet manager opens.
                      If I try running the command again, with the wallet manager still open, I get output like yours, with no second window of the program.
                      I'd suggest logging out, then back in and trying again.

One very very very remote possibility is that the program could be running in an Virtual Desktop or Activity, if you have played around with or use those at all. Very very very remote, but I am suspecting that there may be a kwalletmanager instance running somewhere already, based on the different outputs we get from each other.

if you run the system monitor (KSysguard) you can use that to see if 'kwalletmanager' is running or not, and even "kill" it (via a right-click option) Not "kwalletd", though killing that won't hurt things - it would be restarted after login anyway.

(please also note, unless you see the words error in a terminal, the vast majority of these messages are unimportant - more for devs and others needing to debug a process, what you see above is completely normal output)
                      Last edited by claydoh; Nov 05, 2014, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I have now tried uninstalling kwalletmanager, rebooting, and then reinstalling.

I still get the file not found message when I try to run kwalletmanager from Homerun Kicker (search box), then click.

I have now uninstalled kwalletmanager

Comment

I was just wondering if the wallet could have failed due to a system upgrade?

I have had many upgrades and the wallet worked at one time. The only conclusion I can come to is that there might be some incompatibility between one of the upgrades and the wallet.

I rule out Wallet being corrupted because I reinstalled the programme without effect.

Just a thought.

Ps. It might be my imagination, but since I uninstalled the Wallet things seem 'smoother' in operation. I have noted that some people have had problems with Wallet.

Comment

Originally Posted by anonprivate

Claydoh: which will do nothing

Surely it would, if the wallet became corrupted!
                            Last edited by anonprivate; Nov 06, 2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by anonprivate

Claydoh: which will do nothing

Surely it would, if the wallet became corrupted!
                              Nope, as the actual wallet files are located in your home dir, and these are not removed when uninstalling applications, one has to do so manually. It is why I had suggested deleting all the kwallet related files from your home, as these would be re-created from scratch next login, or whenever kwallet ran again.

If there was a problem with an upgrade, it would have reared its head immediately, upgrades were not mentioned in the OP, just that this was a recent occurrence.

Comment

Working...
                              X