X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 14.04 doesn't automatically recognizes my USB printer

Hi.
    Kubuntu 14.04 Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr (LTS), 64bits, booted from its LiveCD,

doesn't automatically recognizes my Epson Stylus CX4500 USB printer. I must manually install it before to print.
    I hadn't this problem with
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin (LTS) 64 bits Live CD.
    Any idea?

If you can install the driver when booted from the LiveCD to get the printer to work, it just means that the driver module isn't preconfigured/included in 14.04. If you were using a LiveUSB with a persistent partition, you would be able to save the installation/configuration between boots.

All this said, it means that if you install 14.04, you will be able to install/configure your printer just fine.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you, Snowhog. Yes, I can install/configure my printer and it works fine. I can understand why the driver module isn't preconfigured/included in 14.04: it is an old model (it is almost 10 years old, but it still works). For the time being, just testing this new version of Kubuntu LTS, I boot from a LiveCD, not a LiveUSB. So I must manually install the printer before to print, which is a minor hassle. I just miss the easiness of the previous LTS version, and I wondered why it isn't so easy now. I think that this thread can be marked as SOLVED/CLOSED now. Thank you.

Comment

I have a Panasonic KX-P4410 laser printer that is 22 years old. It has worked with every version of Kubuntu I've used, starting with Edgy Eft. So, age isn't necessarily a defining factor in compatibility. Given that you can install the printer is a good sign.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X