This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates

I have noticed that there are quite a lot of updates.

Are these updates all tested (other than by the developer) before they are made available to the community.

Thanks

A

Ps. I am not having a problem, I ask out of interest
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Relevant info (and much more) can be found here

http://docs.kubuntu.org/updating.html

J

Comment

Likely these are security fixes, and browser updates, and PPA things.
      These are common to all Ubuntu flavours (exept for PPAs), and actually are tested by developers and also by users who choose to do so via the "pre-release updates" option in the software sources configurations.

Now, if you have any PPAs added, those are up to the operator as to who/how/if they are tested.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Likely these are security fixes, and browser updates, and PPA things.
        These are common to all Ubuntu flavours (exept for PPAs), and actually are tested by developers and also by users who choose to do so via the "pre-release updates" option in the software sources configurations.

Now, if you have any PPAs added, those are up to the operator as to who/how/if they are tested.
        Thanks. Long time KDE user, first time poster here. I am wondering why so many of these updates for KDE components have a 4.11 version number. I'm currently on KDE 4.13.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by bonaccio View Post
          Thanks. Long time KDE user, first time poster here. I am wondering why so many of these updates for KDE components have a 4.11 version number. I'm currently on KDE 4.13.

Tony
          Because not every individual component of KDE SC is updated each time there is a new release. It used to be that KDE had to be recompiled in toto every release, even if some programs saw no changes.
          It can look confusing, for sure, but is normal.

Comment

In this particular case, KDE Workspaces stopped releasing major versions for KDE SC 4 after 4.11 and went into bug fixing mode only as the development efforts were focused on Plasma 5. So most current versions of all packages coming from KDE Workspaces 4 are versioned 4.11.x.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              In this particular case, KDE Workspaces stopped releasing major versions for KDE SC 4 after 4.11 and went into bug fixing mode only as the development efforts were focused on Plasma 5. So most current versions of all packages coming from KDE Workspaces 4 are versioned 4.11.x.
              Great replies, thank you both very much. I will apply the updates with reassurance now so I really appreciate it.

Tony

Comment

Working...
              X