This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Kmail setup tips

I'm really pleased at how easily one can set up Kmail for gmail and a "generic Imap server".

This post is not your "classic enumeration" of stuff, it is for "most folks".

GMAIL

For a "Gmail" account I recommend working within Kmail for setup.

For a pristine, never used Kmail when you first open it it will pop the account assistant wizard and you basically don't "do" anything in terms of "getting picky", just enter your gmail account, and password, it will offer to "find the settings" in the initial box, it will pop a listing, and it will just work.

if you set up another kind of account before go to tools/account wizard

For contacts and calendar you will have to go to System Settings/Personal Assistant and you will see an imposing set of symbols.

FIRST find the symbol, presently a gray box with a recognizeable Google "G" in it for Google Calendars and Tasks.

click it and then click add and it will pop a box, with your gmail account already populated, just enter the password. It will automatically go into Kmail, if you are watching Kmail in another window it will appear before your eyes.

THEN....go to Google Contacts, and it will pop and automagically everything will be populated.

You should see the "green button" say ready and it will sync and you can also watch in Kontact.

IMAP server.

I really do think that the "problem" that a lot of people have with a company's IMAP server, is that "things have changed" in terms of what one has to actually enter in the in and out accounts.

For me what has happened is that the college has gone from:

mail.college.edu

to:

Mail.College.Edu

It may seem a small thing but if the capitals are not typed in then it won't work.

IN the Personal/Akonadi, etc.

click an Imap server symbol and add.

There are a variety of things that have to be entered, but, basically you need to ALREADY have the appropriate information from your workplace/school etc.

That means the actual letters to enter into the mail in and out.

the type of password at least and then hit the button to check and if the thing works it will and if it does not it won't

You may have to have such stuff as the port, etc.

Again, that has to be obtained ahead of time.

ADVICE...

When this is set up put it on a stickey note EXCEPT the password.. and put it:

a) on the bottom of your keyboard
    b) inside your computer tower
    c) inside your closet! lol

hope this helps a little if needed please feel free to ask.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X