Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot test Kubuntu. WOuld appreciate help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot test Kubuntu. WOuld appreciate help.

My USB with Kubuntu ISO 14.04 will not start. It was created with unetbootin after downloading iso and checking MD5 ok. I have successfully tested Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Solydx, LMDE with no problem. With Kubuntu I get the blue menu screen and press ENTER, blue screen pops up again (which is normal with all distros) then blue screen is minimized to top left corner and computer freezes.
    I then burnt a DVD. This booted up fine and looked great. The only options were to Install KUbuntu or a Desktop button. There appeared to a menu bar at the foot of the screen struggling to display. When I clicked in this vicinity some windows partially loaded. As I moved my mouse around the desktop, partial windows would display. With all other distros the Nouveau drivers have worked ok and the NVidia drivers worked perfectly. Clearly the default driver has a problem and I cannot install the NVidia driver as the computer is unusable in this state.
    My system is Dual Core 2700Mhz, GeForce 7950 GT, ssd drive. I have heard great reviews of Kubuntu and would love to try it. ANy help would be appreciated.

Solved the booting problem. Built another USB but used mintstick Image Writer which comes standard with all Mint versions. This booted up exactly the same as the DVD. There was no blue intermediate menu. Still have the video problem though.

Comment

You can use Ubuntu and then install KDE. The package is called "kubuntu-desktop" and after boot you can choose whether system you want. My best guess is to make it fully functional in Ubuntu (installing proprietary drivers, etc.) and then try Kubuntu. It's not a clean process but it worked some time ago.

Comment

Without digging into hardware problems, I might suggest trying out kubuntu 12.04 or 13.10. You didn't say which Ubuntu version you tried, but all the other distros you've named are "older" than 14.04 (I know mint just released version 17 but I don't see it for KDE yet). Since these work for you, it might be worth checking out.

Also, *buntus have a usb maker called usb-creator. Unetbootin is great, but every so often it does fail on dune isos.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Thanks everybody for your help. I eventually tried the full installation although the video was still playing up. With careful navigation I managed to get it installed and the video was still useless. Again with careful navigation I installed the NVidia drivers and voila! It is an impressive distro. The only other problem I found was: During installion I gave myself a weak password and elected to log in automatically. No problem, but when I tried to use sudo it said my password was wrong. When I tried to change my password I couldn't authorise the change for same reason. When I logged out, I couldn't log in. I solved it by booting in safe mode and changing password to a strong one. I suspect my original weak password was never saved but no warning was given during the installation. The maintainers may need to look at this. I'm not sure if these are are Kubuntu or Ubuntu problems because I have been using Mint 16 for the last year. I don't have these problems with latest LMDE (0314) which also uses Nouveau drivers.

Comment

Working...
          X