This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KTorrent won't seed

I have the KTorrent that came with Kubuntu 14.04 and haven't touched anything.
    In downloading it works great. The problem is it won't seed (initially it seeded some KB very slowly then stopped).
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Seeding problems can be due to router/firewall problems, as well as specific tracker setups and of course bugs in the program.
    Was this working previously? Do you see this in other bt clients (I use qbittorrent, but there are many others to try)? You may have to configure your router/firewall to match the settings in ktorrent, or vice versa.

look here for more ktorrent help if someone here doesn't have a solution
    http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=233

Comment

ktorrent used to work well for me, but "I didn't touch anything" and it stopped seeding, this all on 13.10. At the time I put it down to my router being flaky, though perhaps having changed ISPs might have something to do with it.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        ktorrent used to work well for me, but "I didn't touch anything" and it stopped seeding, this all on 13.10. At the time I put it down to my router being flaky, though perhaps having changed ISPs might have something to do with it.
        could be the flaky router ,,,, (you must have the ports forded thrugh the router ) and some ISP's will block the standard torrent port ,6881, .
        try 1-changeing the port,s Ktorrent is using and enabel the UPnP plugin in Ktorrent ,,,if your router is UPnP aware (most are)it will ford the port for you.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Oh yes, different isps do treat torrent traffic differently, for sure.

I use a paid vpn just so that I don't constantly lose connection, even for seeding kubuntu images.

Depending on the tracker, some private torrent sites blacklist some clients, or specific versions of a client. That's one reason why the first thing I do is try a different one if I have trouble connecting, seeding, downloading.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

I disabled the system firewall.
            I enbled the UPnP plugin in Ktorrent and I can see it in my router's UPnP page.
            Still doesn't work. What am I missing?

Comment

Again, have you tried a different torrent client? (What if there is a bug in this version of Ktorrent)?
              Tried a VPN? (hides your traffic from the Eeeville ISP of Doom)
              Changed ports and set up port forwarding (manually, not using upnp)?

Not knowing your isp, yours could be blocking or just messing with torrent traffic. Mine (comcast) does this, and NOT by monitoring ports, but by content somehow.It sometimes takes a lot of trial and error (and how it helped me pick Qbittorrent plus a VPN for my usage scenario).

Comment

I set up port forwarding manually and tried an other client and downloaded the distros of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I have a decent seeding rate for Ubuntu but Kubuntu still won't seed. I suspect there is a problem with this/those torrent. Is there any torrent-test-file?

Comment

Well, it might not be seeding as there may not be many people actually torrenting the kubuntu iso.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running ViperRom Kit Kat, using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

For what it is worth, I seed the kubuntu iso myself, have since release day, and it does seed, but not all the time. Actually, very seldom. I think most just directly download it, and there are enough seeders that no one person gets "hit" for very much data for very long.

Comment

I had a similar problem, however, I am wondering if maybe the application I was uploading may not be in demand at this time. The application that I downloaded is crunchbang, a linux OS. I uploaded 45mb in a period of several days, so I wondered if perhaps no one was downloading the application and maybe did not need the data. Were you uploading an application that was likely in demand? It is just a thought.

Originally posted by verduz View Post
                      I have the KTorrent that came with Kubuntu 14.04 and haven't touched anything.
                      In downloading it works great. The problem is it won't seed (initially it seeded some KB very slowly then stopped).
                      Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

Maybe it's a problem of downloaders/seeders ratio. In a full day I have uploaded some Kb of the Kubuntu iso too so I'm guessing it's not a network problem. Any ideas of highly requested (and legal to seed) torrent to make a test?

Comment

Other linux isos are the best ons to try, Ubuntu's should be popular enough to have enough people needing seeders. However: my client shows 147 peers (and nearly 4000 seeders) for the Ubuntu iso, but only 15 (and 400 seeders) for Kubuntu - there are not enough downloaders for the number of seeders so each person's sharing cup is only being sipped a very tiny bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X