This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sync Android Google tasks & Kontact to do

This is a new discovery for me and it happened because of the increasing complexity of my life since I have had to take on ..........another job...so as to SCUBA dive with disabled people.

But, the cut to the chase is that I really did need a "to do" thing that would sync across the tower, the tablet, the laptop and MOST IMPORTANTLY my samsung phone.

Well, I've kept to-dos on Kontact for several years now since it was completely enabled some time ago but it was on............ the tower.

Google has a folder in gmail for "tasks" but, one had to e-mail the task and then copy and paste it when one got onto the tower.

Enter an app for Android which is FREE: "Google Tasks" GTO Lite.

This app just does what it says it is supposed to do, it makes a task, and it immediately syncs with Google calendar tasks "on the web". No frills, can't add this or that or dance on the bar, but it gets the basic job done very simply and very quickly.

Problem then was getting it to sync with Kontact. Didn't happen.

So, googling around I found a "bug" that turned out to not be a bug which works.

Now, there is discussion about how to NOT do what the fellow did, which was enable a second Akonadi resource of Google Calendars and tasks, but I'll live with inelegance:

Do what it says, enable a second version and when you then pop Kontact you seeee NOTHING... let it churn for a minute or so, and then you will have to MANUALLY click all the items in the left bar, for calendar, to do, etc. etc. but....everything does appear except....the tasks...

In tasks you will have to drop the menu by hitting the little arrow thing and there will be two sets of "you" tick all of them and...

magically the task you set on your android using GTO lite which has previously appeared on the Google cloud now appears in Kontact! waaaayyyyyy keeewllll

If someone wants to post a very simple stepwise of how to do this and not have double resources please do so, i am just thankful that it woiks!!

BRAVO KDE TEAM!!

woodsmoke

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=325778

Achilleas 2013-10-08 14:28:52 UTC
    When adding a Google calendar resource to Akonadi, all calendars and task lists appear in the dialogue and can be selected.
    However, in Kontact/Korganizer, only the calendars appear until a second Google calendar resource is added for the same account.
    This happens with the "Google Calendars and Tasks", which uses the Google browser sign-in authentication, not the "Akonadi Google Calendar Resource".

Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Add a "Google Calendars and Tasks" resource to Akonadi (note: NOT a "Akonadi Google Calendar Resource") for an account which has both calendars and task lists.
    2. Enable all calendars and task lists in the resource configuration dialogue.
    3. Open Kontact or Korganizer and enable the "Calendar Manager" sidebar (Settings -> Sidebar -> Show Calendar Manager).
    3. Check whether calendars and task lists are synchronised and whether calendars and lists appear in the "Calendar Manager" list in Kontact/Korganizer.
    4. Add the same "Google Calendars and Tasks" resource to Akonadi again.
    5. Enable everything, or task lists only (doesn't seem to matter).
    6. Check if the calendars have appeared in the Calendar Manager sidebar.

Actual Results: At step 3, only calendars (might) appear in the list.

After step 5, task lists should also be visible.

Expected Results: Steps 1-3 should be adequate to display every calendar and task list. The Google Calendars and Tasks resource should handle both when it is from the same account. I have not tested whether the number of calendars+tasklists is relevant to this bug. I have 8 calendars and 2 tasklists and have not tried adding an account that has less (say, 1 calendar and 1 tasklist).

Comment 1 Daniel Vrátil 2013-10-21 13:57:44 UTC
    Is it possible that by any chance you have to calendars or task lists with the same name?

Comment 2 Achilleas 2013-10-21 14:06:00 UTC
    (In reply to comment #1) > Is it possible that by any chance you have to calendars or task lists with > the same name? Oh! Why, yes, I do. And yes, that is exactly the cause of the issue. The thought never crossed my mind. Thank you! Marking as RESOLVED - INVALID, unless this is something that should be handled by the resource without causing issues.

Comment 3 Daniel Vrátil 2013-10-21 14:28:41 UTC

Git commit 77c3d1470098ca2e0ca5db23e4369a03cd206c3d by Dan Vrátil.
    Committed on 21/10/2013 at 14:18. Pushed by dvratil into branch 'KDE/4.11'. Support case when a Google calendar and tasklist having the same name ...which is not supported by Akonadi. We use calendar/tasklist UID instead of the title as collection name. User-facing name is stored in DisplayAttribute, so the UID should not leak to users anywhere. FIXED-IN: 4.11.3
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X