X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with Muon Updater/Updates in general

Hello everyone!

I've been a Kubuntu user on and off now for about 5 years. I dual booted on my laptop, which had Winderps on it. Sadly, I am still dual booting today, though I am becoming closer and closer to being a full-Kubuntu user. I've never had any issues before, but I have finally encountered one, and can't figure it out. First, specs for computer/software, as requested:

• SOFTWARE
    • Kubuntu release 14.04
    • It is not installed with Wubi, I installed on separate partition
    • KDE version 4.13.0
    • Grub version 0.97-29ubuntu66
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

• PC INFO

• Laptop
    • Intel Dual Core i5, 64 bit
    • Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    • Four gigabytes of RAM
    • One internal HDD
    • One BlueRay internal optical drive

Now, my problem is thus: When I try to update through muon, or through the konsole, I get an error dialog that tells me that the packages cannot be installed. When I use muon and click the 'details' section of the error dialog, this is what I am shown:

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/universe/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ - Release amd64 (20131016.1)/dists/saucy/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Not sure why this is all showing up, or if this will explain my problem to you, but any explanation and or assistive services at all would be greatly appreciated. I want to understand this OS better, so feel free to tell me what I need to do - I'll do what I need to so I can fix up my lady.

I am a military trained and licensed computer tech, so as far as Windows OS/most software and hardware is concerned, I am knowledgeable and able to perform any tasks you may need of me. Linux though... I know very little about, but I learn quickly. Thanks!

I solved my problem by removing the Saucy Salamander disk in the software and updates section of muon updater.

Comment

That's weird. Out of curiosity, what's the output of
      Code:
      cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Comment

No, not weird. After installation from a LiveCD/DVD, the cd-rom repository entry 'should' be commented. If it isn't, apt attempts to use the cd/dvd when looking for updates, and of course, can't and fails.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          After installation from a LiveCD/DVD, the cd-rom repository entry 'should' be commented.
          Yep, knew that.

If it isn't, apt attempts to use the cd/dvd when looking for updates, and of course, can't and fails.
          Will APT ever try to use this line even if it's commented out? That's the "weird" bit I was questioning. Assuming that the lines were commented out on Firstborne's PC, I'm surprised that the error messages indicate attempts to try to use the CD anyway.

Comment

The way I read his post, the cd/dvd repository was not initially commented, resulting in the indicated errors: W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ ...

He removed the entry:
            I solved my problem by removing the Saucy Salamander disk in the software and updates section of muon updater.
            and all was then well with the world.

Comment

The way I read his post, the cd/dvd repository was not initially commented, resulting in the indicated errors: W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.10 _Saucy Salamander_ ...

He removed the entry:

and all was then well with the world.
              Exactly! As I have come to see as common with most errors, this was a user error - user being me.

Comment

Well, we aren't born with knowledge; we acquire it as we grow. Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process, and we are all still in that process.

Welcome to what we believe to be, and I hope you will discover, the very best Kubuntu Linux Support Forum on the Internet.

Comment

Welcome to what we believe to be, and I hope you will discover, the very best Kubuntu Linux Support Forum on the Internet.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X