X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-language environment on Kubuntu

Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu 13.10 and set up KDE instead of Unity for some reason. I just wanted to set up Japanese as the secondary language while American-English is the main, in intention to use ibus to be able to write in Japanese occasionally. However, when I added Japanese to System Settings->Locale->Language, some menu in some windows started showing in Japanese, which I didn't want.

I have a similar enviroment on Opensuse 13.1 with KDE but it doesn't behave this way and Japanese stays as "Secondary".

Can anyone direct me to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Toshi

First, you shouldnt need the to set the Locale settings to Japanese. This will convert your system language to Japanese and make your menus and dialogs in Japanese. So I would go ahead and remove Japanese from the Locale settings.

What you need to do is install the following packages: ibus, ibus-qt4, ibus-anthy, anthy, libibus-qt1, gir1.2-ibus-1.0, ibus-gtk, ibus-gtk3, libibus-1.0-5, gir1.2-gtk-3.0, language-pack-ja, language-pack-gnome-ja

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ibus ibus-qt4 ibus-anthy anthy libibus-qt1 gir1.2-ibus-1.0 ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 libibus-1.0-5 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 language-pack-ja language-pack-gnome-ja
    Then open up the ibus settings menu
    Code:
    ibus-setup
    This should start the daemon and open up the settings window. Go to the Input Method Tab and select Anthy if it isnt already selected. Set the shortcut you want. You may have to reboot to get the settings to take effect. Hopefully you now have Japanese input ability.

Comment

Yay! It's working! Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X