X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of UI tweaks I'd like to figure out

Dearest everybody,

I'm about a month or two into my new Kubuntu install and really liking it so far. There are couple of things that, if I could get them working, would make it perfect.

One - when I log into my profile, I'm connected to my wireless network automatically, and a small grey UI toast appears at the top center of the screen, telling me "Connected to RouterName". if this would fade away after a second or so that would be fine, but it won't go away until I click it. Is there a way to have it go away after a bit or even suppress it completely?

Two - Just about the only thing I miss from Windows is the convenience of treating the desktop like another folder. Like, if I save a file to the desktop from a file browser, it shows up there when I look at the desktop. It seems that the default Kubuntu desktop has it so that the ~/Desktop functions as a normal folder, but the things you put in there don't show up. Likewise, when I drag something to the desktop, it asks me what kind of widget I want to turn it into, or, if it's from the web (even if it's an image) it plops a link down. But actually I want this to behave just like a folder, storing the file to ~/Desktop and displaying a file icon.

Any way I can get that set up?

One - Right click of the wireless icon in the System tray settings, Then Network Management Settings and Notifications in the left panel. Click on Active connection state changed and untick "Show a message in a popup"
    Two - Unlock widgets, right click on desktop and change the Layout to folder. Relock widgets.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Hi Rich, thanks for your help. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by dinostabomg View Post
        One - when I log into my profile, I'm connected to my wireless network automatically, and a small grey UI toast appears at the top center of the screen, telling me "Connected to RouterName". if this would fade away after a second or so that would be fine, but it won't go away until I click it. Is there a way to have it go away after a bit or even suppress it completely?
        Originally posted by richb View Post
        One - Right click of the wireless icon in the System tray settings, Then Network Management Settings and Notifications in the left panel. Click on Active connection state changed and untick "Show a message in a popup"
        I have noticed the same thing. Before the new Network Management tool appeared, all of the old tool's notices appeared in the KDE notifications that we're used to: above the system tray in the panel (or next to the tray, if your panel is vertical). Now, with the new tool, the initial connection state notice appears in that "toast" thing at the top middle of the screen. It seems like the tool is ready to display the notice before the KDE notification is ready to handle them, and this "toast" is some kind of fallback.

Comment

That's interesting, I've been wondering why the connection notification was appearing there, I'd assumed it was to show off how quickly Kubuntu connects to wireless networks after booting, since timings are often used in distribution comparisons!

Makes more sense that it's a fallback.

Rich, thanks for the tips, I'll be using number 1 myself and I know a few people who would like number 2!
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X