This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Dolphin add-on [root actions]

I downloaded a new service for Dolphin - it's called "Root actions Servicemenu" from Kubicle. By right-clicking (context menu?), I get access to various services as root, eg open terminal, open file manager, etc. Naturally, it asks me for root password.

It's worked for years, but has suddenly stopped working. Now, it won't "Open in File Manager" as root. It still asks for the password, but nothing happens.

(It may not be relevant, but when it's asking for the password, it says at the top of the box - "/usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl do_open_with VLC". Is that the VLC I use for to play video and audio files? ??)

Thanks

What version of Kubuntu and KDE are you running? Here, with Kubuntu 13.10 and KDE 4.12 (?), his servicemenu works just fine.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Plain Kubuntu 13.10 (plus backport repository), all up to date.

Cheers

Comment

Do you have ruby installed?
        Is /usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl executable?
        Last edited by Buddlespit; Jan 29, 2014, 03:03 PM.
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

1. Yes, Ruby is installed.
          2. I don't know how to try and execute "/usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl".
          3. I deleted VLC and now the context menu option works. ??

But, now my Thunderbird has gone a bit iffy. It won't open an http/https link (such as a notification email from this forum). Nor can I tell it to use a browser.

I back up /home every night. I'm going to try and restore yesterday's version, see if that works.

Cheers

Comment

Success (I hope)

TBird is back working as it was, and so are rootactions in Dolphin.

It looks like the VLC thing was the problem (or the symptom). The same message now reads "/usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl do_open_with Dolphin"

??

Thanks for the advice, people - it's always appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jollyjack View Post
              It looks like the VLC thing was the problem (or the symptom).
              Root Actions uses xdg-mime to find the default application to open inode/directory. This is commonly dolphin (or konqueror) depending on one's settings.

Maybe VLC set itself as the default application for directories?

This can be tested by running:
              "xdg-mime query default inode/directory" in a shell.
              This should return "dolphin.desktop" if dolphin is the default.

Comment

I've just tested it and it returns "dolphin.desktop".

As you suggest, looks like VLC put itself where it shouldn't. Who knows how?

PS. Root Actions is one of the most useful add-ons I've found. Many thanks for writing it and making it available.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jollyjack View Post
                  As you suggest, looks like VLC put itself where it shouldn't.
                  Yup, it's odd it would do that by default.

If it does that you can manually change the setting in SystemSettings>FileBindings browse to inode>directory and move dolphin to the top of "preferred applications" (or move vlc to the bottom).

PS. Root Actions is one of the most useful add-ons I've found. Many thanks for writing it and making it available.
                  Always nice to hear people still find it useful, even though I haven't worked on it for a while (I have some plans to improve it and clean up the code, but haven't really gotten to it yet...I'm sort of a "don't fix it if it ain't broken" kind of guy).

Comment

One of the first thing I add to a new installation is the root actions menu. Very useful.
                    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                    Always consider Occam's Razor
                    Rich

Comment

IMO, which is worth exactly , Root Actions Servicemenu should be packaged with Kubuntu; it's that useful.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        IMO, which is worth exactly , Root Actions Servicemenu should be packaged with Kubuntu; it's that useful.
                        +1 on that ........one of the first things I add to a new install ,,,,,,,which will be soon when I do a clean install of 14.04 over 12.04

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                        X