X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard not working! Please help.

Hi,
    I have Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e535, and kubuntu 13.10.

My keyboard stopped working I when I had 13.04, upgrading did not solve the issue.

The whole entire bottom row is not working, space, enter, and some random keys do not work at all.

I cannot type, I need my laptop to study, it is bothering me greatly.

My external keyboard works, but it is not very portable.

I am pretty much a newbie, but I tried the num lock thing, and restored the default settings.

Please help.
    <3 there is no hope <3

qweruiopasdfghjkl
    those are all the letters that work.

I checked the layout and the settings, they are okay.

I am really desperate, I dont know what to do.
    Last edited by 1999NBK; Sep 29, 2013, 04:10 AM. Reason: grammar :)
    <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

You didn't spill any liquid on it did you?

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
        You didn't spill any liquid on it did you?
        No, not at all, and the laptop keyboard should be liquid proof too, it was advertised, but Im pretty sure that I havent spilled anything on it.
        <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

If an external keyboard works, but the internal is acting wonky, then I would assume that you either have something turned on (ie-numlocks or some setting in your bios), or your internal keyboard is failing. Either way, it would be a hardware issue.
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
            If an external keyboard works, but the internal is acting wonky, then I would assume that you either have something turned on (ie-numlocks or some setting in your bios), or your internal keyboard is failing. Either way, it would be a hardware issue.
            Well it was a fresh installation of kubuntu, from usb, and then I upgraded within days, I didnt mess with the settings at all.

What should I try?

I hope its not a hardware issue, the computer is brand new, and it was not a problem when I installed kubuntu, it just appeared.
            <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

What keyboard layout are you using?

System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts. Click the box next to Configure layouts. What is shown as the Map and the Layout?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                What keyboard layout are you using?

System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts. Click the box next to Configure layouts. What is shown as the Map and the Layout?
                "cz and czech" that is also the layout of the laptop keyboard and my external keyboard

I have used that layout before and I have never had a problem.
                <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Try an experiment. Create a new user and log in using the new user account. Does the laptop keyboard 'work' as expected? If it does, then you have a corrupt configuration file within your original users account. That can be corrected.

Comment

I just tried it with Guest, and the keyboard did not work, just some keys work, no space, delete, or enter

Or does have to be a new user, and cant be Guest?
                    <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Create a new user.

Comment

No luck, doesn't work either. I created a new user, and the issue was the same.

Is there anything else I can do?
                        <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Open a console and type:
                          Code:
                          cat /etc/default/keyboard
                          What does it show?

Comment

xena@daemon:~$ cat /etc/default/keyboard
                            # Check /usr/share/doc/keyboard-configuration/README.Debian for
                            # documentation on what to do after having modified this file.

# The following variables describe your keyboard and can have the same
                            # values as the XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant and XkbOptions options
                            # in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
                            XKBLAYOUT="cz"
                            XKBVARIANT="qwerty"
                            XKBOPTIONS=""

# If you don't want to use the XKB layout on the console, you can
                            # specify an alternative keymap. Make sure it will be accessible
                            # before /usr is mounted.
                            # KMAP=/etc/console-setup/defkeymap.kmap.gz
                            this is what it says
                            <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Open the keyboard file. Press Alt+F2 and type: kdesudo kate /etc/default/keyboard

Remove qwerty from XKBVARIANT= so it looks like:

XKBVARIANT=""

Save/close the file. Log out of the Desktop and then log back in under your normal user. Any change to the keyboard functioning?

Comment

Working...
                              X