This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built-in 3G modem Almost works

I have an old 3G dongle which works only via the sakkis 3G script. Can't remember right now how the problem with it presented itself, but essentially I never managed to connect with it (I seem to recall somethign about it never staying connected for more than 10 seconds) and gave up trying to fix it when I discovered sakkis3g.

In any case my new(er) laptop has got a built-in 3G modem, so today I decided to try and see if it would work.

I transferred the SIM from the external 3G dongle to the built-in SIM slot and first tried the NetworkManager to connect. It .... nearly works.

- It does actually establish a connection,
    - An IP address is assigned to the interface
    - it is possible to ping IP addresses
    - manual name resolution works, eg using a command such as
    Code:
    dig @dnsserver hostname
    - Basic connectivity to IP addresses works Eg SSH, HTTP, etc

But name services does not automatically use the DNS servers
    - Name lookups fail
    - Name services does not seem to know what name servers to use.

I also notice that Network manager doesn't "enable" the connection even though it shows the correct IP address assigned. I've attached a screenshot showing the network manager display

Sakkis3g fails to get the internal modem to connect.

Note that I use dnsmasq to cache DNS. I am probably going to have to work out how to, at least temporarily, disable dnsmasq if it is a) the cause of the problem, and b) impossible to make it play nice with PPP dial-up. I have no problem with using the external 3G modem with dnsmask, though I do use Sakkis3G to set up the connection.

P.S. I am making the assumption that 3G / mobile broadband use make of PPP dial-up.

Really? Not even someone coughing back in the audience? My new .SIG should be "I write questions that doesn't elicit response".

Comment

Your screenshot link isn't working. Try posting it to imgur.com and letting us know the URL.

Also...can you get it to work if you change the method to "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only and specify some DNS servers? The ones in the screenshot below are Verizon's -- they're fast, always up, and don't hijack NXDOMAIN answers.

Comment

Thank you, you solved my problem. At some point in the past I tried different options with DNS. Some stale, none-working DNS servers were in there. I removed those server addresses and changed it to Full Automatic mode. It now works. So... user error.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 11, 2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X