X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get internet on here?

Version: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS for PPC
    Computer: Powermac G5

I just want to share internet from my MacBook 2008 running OSX 10.7.5 . I have an ethernet cable, and I've been fiddling with the options, but so far I've had no luck. Is there something I've been doing wrong?
    _______
    Ethernet
    ------------

Configure IPv4: | Manually |

IP Address: 192.168.2.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

(Everything else is blank)

Can someone please help? I just need to connect to the internet to download the drivers! (Can I just download them and put them on a flash drive?)

How is Kubuntu installed on your PPC? Are you dual-booting or is Kubuntu running in a Virtual Machine? What are you using to connect to the Internet with? Cable Modem; ADSL Modem / Router; Dial-up; ?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The quick way is to get an inexpensive smart switch ($50-$100), plug your ISP source into it and plug your two boxes into the switch. Or, your could learn about IP Forwarding, etc. Google "ip forwarding mac" and you see several IP Forwarding configuration solutions. Pick one that fits your needs. Usually, buying special mac software is not needed.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to include that info. I'm running Kubuntu off of a FireWire drive, that's dual-booting with OSX 10.4.11 (its installed on an internal drive) I want to share the Internet off of my MacBook connected to wifi, via an Ethernet cable. I even have a really long Ethernet cable, but it won't reach my router.

Comment

It looks like you're missing a gateway and a DNS server in your configuration. Without those, you won't get very far.

Comment

If you just enable internet sharing on your mac (System Preferences > Sharing) You should be able to just connect the ethernet cable and use DHCP to connect

Oh... and you should use OpenNIC for DNS http://www.opennicproject.org
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              It looks like you're missing a gateway and a DNS server in your configuration. Without those, you won't get very far.
              Well, since I'm obviously new to this kind of thing, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be putting down on any of the settings on either computer. I've just been following some guides I've found . I know our provider is comcast, but that's it.

Comment

If your MacBook is connected to your cable modem, then you will need to investigate how to share that connection to other computers. Most Internet sharing mechanisms advertise DHCP so you will not need to explicitly configure anything on your Kubuntu computer.

Comment

No, no, no. My MacBook is connected to wifi. My G5 is not connected to the Internet. i want to share the internet via an ethernet cable.I set both of the computers connections to automatic dhcp for the Ethernet connection. The cables are plugged in, I do everything right but nothing happens. Can someone please tell me how to find the information to put in for both of the computers? And is the gateway the routers IP address? It just seems that nothing's working! I get no response from either computer.

Comment

Descriptions of network connections can be challenging to articulate precisely. Illustrations are better. Please draw a picture, take a photograph of it with your cell phone camera, and post it here. Include your cable modem, your router, and any other network gear. Show how you want things to be connected. I would rather not try to guess how you want your setup to be. While your explanation might seem clear to you, it is in fact not possible to understand what you have and what you want based on what you've written so far.
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Aug 16, 2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

If I understand it correctly you have 3 computers.
                      A Macbook that is via wifi on the internet and a G5 that's dual booted into Linux (on an external drive).
                      You seem to want to make a wired connection from the Macbook to the G5, in other words the Macbook should 'serve' or share the internet it has to the G5 via a network cable.
                      Certainly possible, you'll need someone that knows OSX.

I only once had something Mac (iMac) and after a few months I exchanged it for a real computer with proper memory management.
                      It might be easier to just get a cheap USB wifi dongle for the G5 but then I'm not in charge of your budget...

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                        If you just enable internet sharing on your mac (System Preferences > Sharing) You should be able to just connect the ethernet cable and use DHCP to connect

Oh... and you should use OpenNIC for DNS http://www.opennicproject.org
                        I was ignored yet again

Comment

Okay, I'm not trying to be rude, but what I'm saying isn't very hard to understand. My router is giving wifi to my macbook. My macbook is giving internet to my g5 with an ethernet cable.

Plain and simple, my macbook is connected to my router, and my g5 is connected to my macbook with an ethernet cable.

NOTE: I found that my g5 will say that it is connected to the internet (it really isn't) if I try to connect with my powerbook g4 instead of my macbook.

Comment

Sorry, I'm such a noob. I looked at all my past posts and realized I havent been giving good info. I tried all the default and automatic settings (DHCP jpenguin) Nothing seems to work at all until I use my old powerbook g4, but even then it just says it works, but it dosen't. All I need to do is download the drivers for the wifi reader thingie (wlan?) built in to the computer. I do have a usb dongle I bought for my rasberry pi, will that work out of the box? Sorry that I've been such a noob.

Comment

On your mac http://imgur.com/a/IYGDS

You should be able to then use DHCP to connect

Comment

Working...
                              X