X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I broke xorg and KDE.

Hello.

I hope someone can help. I was running kubuntu 12.04 lts. Everything was fine until I upgraded my graphics card. I installed an Asus gt630.

Everything went well. My computer booted, the card worked. The screen resolution was far too low, and in settings I didn't have the option to increase it to match my monitor.

This is where things turned woeful. Rather than install and configure nvidia drivers, I installed and ran a program from the official repository to configure xorg.

On rebooting, I had lost kde, and was presented with a command line instead. I tried to run kde from the command line but received an error that $DISPLAY was not set, or cannot access x server.

After a search online, I decided it would be quicker and easier to uninstall and reinstall xorg. The uninstall went fine, but then I found I could not reinstall because I had lost internet access. My tale of woe is further complicated now, as when I reboot, I'm presented with the grey kubuntu logo, the moving dots, and nothing more.... Not even a command line.

Is the situation beyond repair? Would an upgrade to 13 repair my broken xorg? I do back up regularly, but I have about a weeks worth of documents, loss of bookmarks and customisations that I would really try to avoid losing.

I know I've been foolish, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard.

I would need to restart to be sure but, there might be something in the Live CD that can fix the missing packages. If you can't you can always get your personal files off with the LiveCD before reinstalling.
    Rob

Comment

Working...
    X