Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenWRT or Debian WRT CD image to install or run live, on a desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenWRT or Debian WRT CD image to install or run live, on a desktop?

I would like to use an old PC as a dedicated router/firewall.

I can use failover/failback, multiple wifi/wired client points, traffic shaping, QOS/load balancing...

It seems there are thousands of packages for OpenWRT, and now there is a DebianWRT project:
    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWRT

I need a project that's going to be around for a while/LTS, low budget, with a wiki/forum, and is extensible.
    Both OpenWRT and Debian seem to fit that.

Now, I have seen some half hearted, or outdated "how to"s for patching from a DD-WRT install...
    I'd rather do a clean, fresh install, and have a CD/DVD to do so again, in the case of a catastrophic failure, or to do "OEM" installs.

Then there's the concept of preloading certain packages and presettiing options.
    Not only is this good for disaster recovery, but to run the system live, ROM, where a reboot resets to the chosen configuration. A cd-RW or DVD-RW could be used, so that it can be updated. This can also be good in a scenario without a HDD, or where the disk is only used for /var/ /tmp/ etc...

Does anyone know of an easy method for installing/running live, OpenWRT or DebianWRT, with a CD/DVD, on a desktop/laptop PC?
Working...
X