Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too many desktop environments on Kubuntu 13.04 - remove or reinstall OS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many desktop environments on Kubuntu 13.04 - remove or reinstall OS?

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to KDE environment and I just switched to Kubuntu from Ubuntu 13.04.
    However, when I was on ubuntu I installed KDE-plasma-desktop (awesome) but as well cinnamon, lxde, xfce too.
    I did it to know what is what and how it fits to me.
    So, at the moment I have about 6 desktop environments + openbox alone, that's including Unity and Gnome...
    Now I know I shouldn't do that, install them all at the same time lol, but... at least I know what that's mean.

My main question is: Is it better to remove all desktops environments one by one using history log file as describe here: http://complete-concrete-concise.com...eprogram#howto,
    or, move all my files to 2nd HDD and make fresh Kubuntu installation and put my files back to main HDD?

P.S'. if fresh installation is a best way, would someone assure me that by installing kubuntu 13.04 I'll have this plasma desktop with search mode (I love it).
    P.S''. just for the records I have upgraded my kernel to 3.9
    P.S''' finally, my machine is not a demon of speed so for heaver processes and better performance I using LXDE session before I login can I do the same with Kubuntu?

Many thanks for any reply and advice
    Cheers

I running:
    Laptop Toshiba P300-20H
    CPU: intel dual core t3400 2.16Mhz
    arch: x86_64
    GPU: intel, mobile 4 series c
    Ram: 2Gb
    1.Int.HDD: Samsung 250Gb
    2.int.HDD: Hitashi 250Gb
    Ext. HDD: Medion 500Gb Usb 3.0 Fat32

Kubuntu 13.04
    Installed on ubuntu 13.04 by sudo apt-get install KDE-plasma-desktop
    KDE: 4.10.4
    Grub: GRand Unified Bootloader )Legacy Version)
    Kubuntu 13.04 on Laptop Toshiba P300-20H, CPU: T3400 2.16Mhz intel dualcore, RAM: 2Gb, 2xHDD250Gb

Interesting idea in that post about using the history file to purge installed packages. However, package management at this level is a fairly advanced task. Unless you feel comfortable with occasional dpkg --force-things interventions -- and I almost guarantee that the need for this will arise, especially if you make a mistake -- I'd advise against following the procedure.

One of the primary sources of problems around here is poor package maintenance. Don't let yourself fall into that trap. Start over, be clean.

Comment

Agree with Steve, move all your important files to a cd, second disc or the cloud and do a fresh install, removing the D.E.'s will also remove many dependencies that most likely will affect other D.E. as well. Good Luck
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by wanakutia View Post
        My main question is: Is it better to remove all desktops environments one by one using history log file as describe here: http://complete-concrete-concise.com...eprogram#howto,
        or, move all my files to 2nd HDD and make fresh Kubuntu installation and put my files back to main HDD?
        On several times I've used a logical approach to convert one flavour of the *buntu family to another and it's only worked once. I've usually ended up with something that won't boot up correctly and I've had to re-install anyway. So many hours wasted. I won't try again.

Comment

What I've done in the past was to:
          Code:
          $ sudo aptitude remove --purge gnome?
          $ sudo aptitude remove --purge unity?
          $ sudo aptitude remove --purge ubuntu-desktop
          $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-full (or kubuntu-desktop, if you prefer)
          Probably not the best way to do things....
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
            Nope. Not everything gets removed this way. The Ubuntu Linux Resources ("Psychocats") site has some detailed instructions for switching DEs, but even these have sometimes allowed odd remnants to remain. It's best to reinstall from scratch when switching DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
              What I've done in the past was to:
              Code:
              $ sudo aptitude remove --purge gnome?
              $ sudo aptitude remove --purge unity?
              $ sudo aptitude remove --purge ubuntu-desktop
              $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-full (or kubuntu-desktop, if you prefer)
              I agree with Steve here, plus using aptitiude is a danger in this situation as it can be too "smart" in trying to resolve dependencies and create quite a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                plus using aptitiude is a danger in this situation as it can be too "smart" in trying to resolve dependencies and create quite a mess.
                While this once might have been true, I haven't seen any evidence lately that it still is. I've been using Aptitude more and more lately; the ncurses interface is amazingly efficient for a number of tasks. The solver in the newer Aptitude has yet to cause problems for me.

In fact, in my current configuration, it works better than apt-get. I have an APT preference file that prohibits installing GRUB or ELILO or LILO on my machine because I'm using rEFInd. Whenever a new kernel appears, apt-get tries to install a number of i386 (?) packages that are dependents of the prohibited packages. Aptitude does not. I'm flummoxed.

Comment

While I was working on my third attempt to install my server and get a dnla server to work with all of the different appliances I have in my house, I stumbled across aptitude, wget and dpkg. Using those three commands are what got my server up and running properly. I have taken to using aptitude on my desktop and my laptop for most major projects now.

I've read that aptitude used to cause all kinds of havoc, but it seems to have been fixed or ported since 12.04 (also from what I had read).
                  I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Oh it's not aptitude, it's a great tool. It is the huge number of packages involved in this particular situation. It just takes one error in one package. Throw in any random ppa packages....

Anyway, the ultimate point still is that it is probably simpler, easier, and quicker to go clean than to try surgery..

Comment

Anyway, the ultimate point still is that it is probably simpler, easier, and quicker to go clean than to try surgery..
                      ... And that's what I did. I managed to move all my files to another disk and make a clean installation of Kubuntu 13.04!!!!

I have to admit, that It's looking slightly different now and I like it. System now is much faster and problems, with appropriate time according to time zone in all app; plasma-desktop crushes or not working short cuts, are gone now.

Thanks a lot, there are interesting methods and ideas mentioned here, thinks to look into in the future - maybe with different purpose or situation (or with simply more skills).

I don't mark this threat as SOLVED for time being, so if anybody wanted to dig deeper into aptitude or have better idea to solve the issue, I'm more than happy to continue conversation.

Cheers
                      Kubuntu 13.04 on Laptop Toshiba P300-20H, CPU: T3400 2.16Mhz intel dualcore, RAM: 2Gb, 2xHDD250Gb

Comment

I love this

Comment

I'm, apparently, unable to attach the picture to this post.
                          Huh.... let's add insult to injury... I can't find it on my computer to upload to mediafire...

Comment

That's ok...Google image search found several

Comment

Working...
                            X