Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to log in. KDE freezes on startup.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to log in. KDE freezes on startup.

Hi there!

There is a problem with logging in I have encountered recently:

Kubuntu boots as it should, I enter my password and KDE splash screen appears. The problem is: it stays there stuck on showing the second icon. I assume to have messed up my settings somehow. I am still able to log in into Ubuntu Desktop (had to install it after the described problem appeared).

What could I've messed up, as I can still log in to KDE with an extra created user account?
    • xsession-errors file showed no errors.
    • Xorg log file shows nothing suspicious. (No errors. The appearing warnings should be harmless if I can trust the internet search).
    • starting KDE session and switching to terminal shows the following: http://s790.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps3a705d95.jpg

My preferences:
    • Kubuntu version 13.04 64 bit
    • Kubuntu is the only OS installed.
    • KDE version 4.10.2
    • grub version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    • Using lenovo T530
    • 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    • Graphic card nVidia (not sure which one it is - can look it up if it's crucial).
    Being wrong is only human. For creating a total chaos a computer is needed.

at the log in ,,,,,,,,press ctrl+alt+F6 ,,,,,log in ,,,,,, do
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.Xauthority
    log out (exit) press ctrl+alt+F7 you will be back at the GUI log in ,,,,try to log in ,,,,,,,yes/no ?

if no do this again but this time do
    Code:
    mv ~/.kde .kde.old
    ,,,,,,can you log in now?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you, Vinny!

Moving the KDE settings did help. I can log in now with the KDE standard settings (as the old ones are renamed now). I suppose, I could bring them back piece to piece and see what happens?

Comment

Copied the ~/.kde/share/ folder back. And the problem was there again.

Comment

After a pretty long time of copying and backing up I've figured out that the file .kde/share/config/kdeglobals was somehow corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by OpiumSmoke View Post
            After a pretty long time of copying and backing up I've figured out that the file .kde/share/config/kdeglobals was somehow corrupt.
            very good then I gave you the machete approach to get you in ,,,,,, I see you found your scalpel

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
            X