Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't understand read/write speeds of thumb Drives.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand read/write speeds of thumb Drives.

I would like to purchase a couple of small 2 to 4 or perhaps 8GB USB3 thumb drives. I really don't care how long it takes to load the information into the drive, what I want to use the drive for is ISO OS's. I want them to perform fastest when installed in a new computer to test or install the OS. Is that a read function or write function? Probably a very dumb question. Thanks!

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    I would like to purchase a couple of small 2 to 4 or perhaps 8GB USB3 thumb drives. I really don't care how long it takes to load the information into the drive, what I want to use the drive for is ISO OS's. I want them to perform fastest when installed in a new computer to test or install the OS. Is that a read function or write function? Probably a very dumb question. Thanks!
    Read.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      Read.
      Thanks for the prompt and exhaustive reply, Mr. Meyer (never thought to question your sex) or Ms. Meyer, no disrespect intended. There is a monster "Read" USB III available, but the "write is very small when compared with other USBs. Most appreciated Info. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
        **Thanks for the prompt and exhaustive reply, Mr. Meyer (never thought to question your sex) or Ms. Meyer, no disrespect intended. There is a monster "Read" USB III available, but the "write is very small when compared with other USBs. Most appreciated Info. Thx.
        Its Mr. Anyways, its quite simple, most of a the time a person reads from disk and writes only when saving. That's why some SSDs have slowish write speeds, but still get great reviews because read speeds are what determines what we generally consider performance. So good read speeds = good performance essentially. P.S. USB thumb drives won't last particularly long as a full os with read-write. Depending on use and wuality it can vary between 6 months to two years but just make regular back ups. If you need help installing to a usb so that its a proper instal and not just a live disk with persistence then we'll be happy to help. I have a usb credit card that has a full os + diagnostics etc on it for computer emergencies. Been useful the few times I've needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          Its Mr. Anyways, its quite simple, most of a the time a person reads from disk and writes only when saving. That's why some SSDs have slowish write speeds, but still get great reviews because read speeds are what determines what we generally consider performance. So good read speeds = good performance essentially. P.S. USB thumb drives won't last particularly long as a full os with read-write. Depending on use and wuality it can vary between 6 months to two years but just make regular back ups. If you need help installing to a usb so that its a proper instal and not just a live disk with persistence then we'll be happy to help. I have a usb credit card that has a full os + diagnostics etc on it for computer emergencies. Been useful the few times I've needed it.
          I think I maybe need to apologize. I was just being friendly in my reply. Your previous response was perfect. I know you are busy. You are faithful to help everyone you can. We are all very grateful to you. I do appreciate this reply too, because I now think I understand the Flash Drive much better.

Unless you are up to a little chat, don't bother anything but your brief and excellent help. Quite frankly, I am old and live totally alone, only see another human on the day I grocery shop, so you are a much bigger friend in my heart than I could possibly be in yours. I love you guys. I will do anything I am able to help and support you. I just wish I was a bit smarter. But we do what we are able, so once in a while I am able to contribute a little also. And that goes for the whole kubuntu develop and support team. You are much loved and respected, and definitely appreciated..

Comment

Working...
          X