This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Transparent Themes

I'm loving Kubuntu. The goodness of the Ubuntu with Gnome and Unity purged and KDE all over.

It is heaven.

In any case when I select a Translucent Window Decorator set, I get a problem with the Window titles... they don't update correctly, the last title stays in the background with the new title showing over it. For some windows that doesn't change their title often, this is not a problem. Also if I minimize and restore the application, then only the current, correct text is visible in the title bar.

Currently my favourite combination is Air-Black Red Remix Window decorations + Oxygen Genesis Desktop Theme + Oxygen Zion Cursor set + QtCurve (or Oxygen) widget Style.

It appears that any combination that includes a translucent Window Decoration set will cause this problem, but not when I select a non-translucent Window Recoration Widget set.

Does any body know why the titles don't correctly overwrite the last? How to fix it?

P.S. This is with KDE 4.10.2 on Kubuntu 12.10. All updates are current as of today.

Comment

Bump

Comment

does your desktop effects work and are they enabled? if not you will not get any tranparency
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Shadows

It seems that you have some kind of shadow text:

...It appears that any combination that includes a translucent Window Decoration set will cause this problem, but not when I select a non-translucent Window Recoration Widget set...
          At here , with the KDE 4.10.2 / Kubuntu 13.04. I can't reproduce this.

Window decoration: Air-black-Remix red.
          Widget style: Oxygen.

Window decoration: Air-black-Remix red.
          Widget style: Oxygen Transparent.

Could you add the information of your system (GPU/drivers/etc...): http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...W-GUY-lt-lt-lt . Maybe someone with same kind system can help more.

Air-black-Remix red: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=147630
          oxygen-transparent: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=127752
          Last edited by Rog131; May 09, 2013, 12:50 PM.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

More detail on my system:

KDE 4.10.2 on Kubuntu 12.10 with current patches.

It is not running in Wubi or any VM, it is running directly on the metal.

The computer is an HP ProBook 6560b (A Laptop computer)

I can't imagine that it is relevant, but the Grub version is Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (Running 64-bit Kubuntu)
            GPU: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) ... This should be the CPU built-in Sandy-bridge chip, if my understanding is correct

Total RAM: 8 GB

Also unlikely to be relevant, but the Hard Drive is an internal SATA disk, 320 GB. There is a Blue-Ray / DVD drive too.

Comment

To be clear about my symptom / problem description:

The overlayd / ghost text appears when the Window Title text changes. For example in Firefox, when you change to a new page, the program changes its Title bar text to match the "Title" text from the HTML. When that happens, it leaves behind a ghosted image of whatever was on the Title bar before that. Every time you do anything that causes the title to change, it becomes increasinly more of a mess. The currently active title remains much brighter than the ghosted text so is still legible.

But it is irritating, so I end up minimizing/restoring windows just to cause the title bar to repaint properly.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                does your desktop effects work and are they enabled? if not you will not get any tranparency
                Enabled ... erm .... but not quite. This was the problem. Effects were set as "Enabled at Startup", but "Stopped"

I used Shift-Alt-F12 to re-enabled the effects and voila everything now works as it should.

But these effects cause my machine to be slow. I like the absolute responsiveness of effects disabled.

So I have gone into Effects settings and turned off everything possible, while still leaving it enabled. Voila.

Comment

Working...
                X