Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after upgrading to 13.04, can't log in - thing tell me it can't start session "gnome"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after upgrading to 13.04, can't log in - thing tell me it can't start session "gnome"

Hi all.

So i'm using kubuntu for several years now (7? can't remember) after switching from another distro that does not exist eny more, and whose name i can't remember.

it's not that i never had problems, but i never registered here, and always managed somehow. however, now i think i'm stumped.

after upgrading to 13.04, i can't login anymore - the silly thing tells me "Failed to load session :Gnome" ", and offer me one option - to log out.
    what makes the situation more frustrating is that if i try the "Safe boot" (or whatever it's called) from the grub menu, the thing doesn't go past some intermidiate stage in the boot process (the last lines i see talks about some scsi stuff - can't remember exactly).
    in desperation, i left it there overnight, thinking that maybe it does some scrubbing of filesystem record or something, but this is not the case - it's just stuck.

i tried to get to the text login screen - in the past <Alt>F2/F3/F4 would get me to a non-graphic login screen and i could poke around from there, but i can't get it anymore.
    maybe someone changed something somewhere - i do not know how to get a basic text-only linux login screen anymore.

the next thing i can think of is to create some USB boot device and boot from there, and try to fix it this way, but:

A) i don;t really know how to do that (i prolly could find how to make USB boot device somewhere over this wonderful internet, but i'd rather not, if there's some magic way to get me to a text login screen), and
    B) once i will be able to login, either with USB or by the equivalent of the old <Alt>F2, i do not know how to convince my kubuntu box that it doesn't really need gnome.

am i the only one with this issue? i tried a short web search, but got nada.

peace.

Can't help with the login issue but to get to a text login screen you need control-alt-F1. control-alt-F7 to get back to a GUI.

Andrew

Comment

Thanks! this is helpful. i am not sure why i remembered <Alt>F1/F2 etc and forgot the <Ctrl>. i am still stumped, though.

i saw elsewhere that running
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
      helped other people with somewhat similar problem, but it did not help me...

so i still can't login to my machine with graphic interface, which basically means i can hardly do anything on this box (luckily for me, it's not the only computer i have access to, although it *is* "my" only computer)

peace.

Comment

can you loginto the text console now ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          can you loginto the text console now ?

VINNY
          Yes. i thought i made it clear, but apparently i didn't.

i can login now, and i tried running
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
          and also
          sudo aptitude reinstall kdm

but it did not help much: i still get the "can't start session "gnome" " message, with a single option: logout.

running these commands *did* make a difference, though: before, there was a single windowing option on the login screen ("kde plasma" or somesuch).
          running the dpkg reconfigure did not change anything, but after running the "aptitude reinstall", the login screen has multiple choices (i'm not in front of it ATM, but some of those options had the word "light" in them, and another had the word "safe", as in "failsafe" or something similar, as far as i can remember).

however, every single windowing option from the login screen brings the same end result: " can't start session "gnome". "

next thing, i'll try to go over all the installed packages (i believe "aptitude search '~i' " supposed to do that for me), and see if i can find anything with the word "gnome" in it.

maybe i sould just take the hint and install gnome?

peace.

Comment

try
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
            and
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
            VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              try
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
              and
              Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
              VINNY
              unfortunately i tried both, and problem still persists.
              next, i'll try to install gnome...

peace.

Comment

What's the output of
                Code:
                dpkg -l | grep -i "display manager"

Comment

Working...
                X