X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High temperatures problem.

Hi!

I tried to install the newer Kubuntu version 13.04.
    Unfortunatelly this wasn't meant to be.
    Here is night and the temperature is 16 C.
    My usual CPU temperatures are 40 - 48 C (the higher ones when doing demanding tasks, zipping, video editing and such).

After downloading the 13.04 setup files the installation started without any problems.
    At 21% of the installation, the cpu temperature started to increase slowly but steady.
    I opened the box and I bringed an extra fan for avoiding overheating.
    At 50% and while the tray monitor was indicating 107 C, after ~ 2min. the system automatically shuted down (probably because of the bios settings, to avoid burning the cpu).

I thought that was a random error or a bad lack, so I restore a previous saved image and I repeated the process.
    Well, I had exactly the same results. At 21% of the installation, the temperature started to raising and at 50% the system autoshutdown once again.

Sigh!
    Seems like I can't update.
    Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
    eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Ok issues like this almost always have to do with a gpu. Anyways just run these commands and check if there is a missing package or something
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    What GPU do you have and which drivers?

Comment

You should always have your system in a fully up to date state before upgrading versions.

Comment

THANKS dmeyer for your help!!!

1) No GPU here!
        I only have the onboard shared memory nvidia card.

2) I updated my system with Synaptic (as usual) and then I launched the tray Muon icon for the distribution upgrade.
        The 21 and 50% numbers are from the blue Muon progres bar.

Something seems to be wrong with Ubuntu power management.
        I'm not sure if this is the case, but I read some posts here and there, that the users were complaining that they had excess temperatures with Ubuntu based distributions.
        One of them was blaming Canonical, that is targeting (for sales) Northern Europe, Northern USA and Canada, so the rest of the users (I'm located at Southern Europe) are just out of luck.
        Again, I'm not sure if this is the case.
        Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7

Comment

Oh you mean the problem is during the upgrade, I thought you meant after upgrade.

Comment

OK! I frozen my room like a refrigerator and I've launched the upgrade once again.
            This time everything ran flawlessly.
            I have other problems now (at 13.04), but at last the upgrade was succesful. :cool:
            Thanks again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Achaean View Post
              OK! I frozen my room like a refrigerator and I've launched the upgrade once again.
              This time everything ran flawlessly.
              I have other problems now (at 13.04), but at last the upgrade was succesful. :cool:
              Thanks again!!!
              Glad you got that sorted. You had a very curious issue. Nonetheless, for your other issues, try searching for solutions on our forums and others and if you can't come right feel free to open up a thread here. Were are always willing to help out.

Comment

THANKS!!!

I'll do it.
                I'm trying to fix them and if I can't sort them out, I'll be back.
                This forum is a great help and I couldn't set my system up and running without your help!

Comment

Working...
                X