This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard issue... it's probably so simple, but I'm new to Kubuntu

So I have been through countless open-source and Free as in Freedom GNU/Linux Distros. I've gotten a comfortable familiarity with most. Ubuntu, and Mint mostly.

Anyhow, I have decided Kubuntu is my favourite distro so far. It is now my home system. For the most part everything is working out great! I've actually been able to fix most issues on my own. However the issue I'm encountering now is with my keyboard, and I'm just not sure what to do about it; if anything can in fact be done.

I am dual-booting with OS X on a late 2009 Aluminium Macbook Pro. I'm sure quite a few of you are groaning in disgust, which I completely understand. I've been using apple since 1989 though, and I happened to like my terminal proficiency as I would bend OS X to my will.

It wasn't until I found ubuntu and other such distros, that I realized just how restrictive Apple was. I digress, the issue I'm having is with the backlight on the keyboard. The function keys to change the brightness of it do not respond, in fact I can't even get the backlight to turn on.

I was curious if there was any way to fix this, being an insomniac I operate my computer in the dark quite often, and I would love to have a backlit keyboard while using Kubuntu.
    I am currently running Kubuntu 12.10

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance folks

Some web searching found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2020856

The thread appears to still be active (most recent post on page 2 is from 1 day ago), so it might be worth chiming in there.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks

Also as it turns out I updated to 13.04 last night.

Comment

Bummer, it turns out nothing works.

I'm going to be ridding myself of this horrible macbook anyway; if anyone can recommend a good, durable, reliable, and reasonably priced laptop to run Kubuntu 13.04 on that has backlit keyboards, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Lenovo changed their keyboard design in late 2011; the X1 was the first model so equipped. All Lenovos now include this style. Depending on the laptop model, the backlight is already included or it can be specified when ordering a custom-built system. FWIW, I have had great success running Kubuntu on a the X1, a T420, and a T520.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll have to look into the Lenovos, I'm also considering System76.

Comment

Working...
            X